Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Render metal made in lathe

3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
Level of today's rendering is so high that details begin to catch eye

How to make metal finish to look like it came out from lathe (with circular brush from center)?

//rami

Comments

• MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @3dcad

I thought making a slight cone might help, but no such luck:

However, the projection mode for textures can be changed to spherical (it seems to affect the whole model though :( )

projection_spherical_normalised:

mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    I've not yet dug into Onshape's render enough to know how to map textures the way I would in Keyshot, but in other software I've seen you need a different texture map completely. I think it's something to do with the uv projection, as already mentioned above. What you're showing I'd call a "linear brushed pattern" and you need a "radial brushed pattern". You might be able to produce your own jpg to project onto the part to get a bump like that. I also don't know what Onshape has in the way of anisotropic materials, which can help give you those reflections. If you're in a bind with it, maybe just photoshop this into your scene after rendering. Post production is an important part of any high-quality rendering workflow. https://www.psdgraphics.com/file/radial-stainless-steel.jpg

Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl