Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Collaboration on a real-life design project?

caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
Besides the pending Quadro inspired design project, I could use an extra brain on an actual design project. :)
I'm designing clamping clips for fixing decorative panels on radiators. The functionality of the clips has already been verified/tested using injection molded samples (PC 5% GFR). At the moment, I'm optimizing the design: saving material without compromising clamping strength, improving inserting clips on steel brackets...

Send me a PM if you're interested in having a look or taking a swing at it.

Dries

Best Answer

Answers

• billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    Dries-

Not sure where I should be responding and hope your project isn't under an NDA. 

I've been capturing my thoughts when opening your documents and trying to understand how we should collaborate. I was going to post here for the world to see, or, should we make it private? I'm not going to post any images until I hear back from you.

First impressions:
    -saw the pdf, seems like I understand what you're wanting
    -chrome64 keeps crashing, switched to safari and it works better
    -reviewed tabs, branching and any thing else to help me understand what you're doing
    -see there's a t21 (old) and t22 (new?), 2 assemblies one with t21 and another t22
    -see that there's the original t21 and a machined version of t21 

This is all I can see on the tab bar and I'm assuming that the "ma..." is a truncated "machined". It's interesting because I can't see what this "ma..." really means. Opening the tab doesn't show me the full string of text. I do see in the part that it looks like you are hitting it with a ball end mill, therefore, I'm assuming "machined".

Seems like a key component to collaborating is communicating and this isn't in a document. Hoping we don't have to bounce a txt file back & forth for taking notes. I can't edit pdf's, don't have word, so not sure how to mix text and graphics. Maybe we should have our own little forum in each document.

Let me know if I can post here or if you want me to make this private. I think it's important that you understand what I'm thinking and I want to know what you're thinking. The beginnings of true collaboration, do you feel like a pioneer?

• john_rousseaujohn_rousseau Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 353
    Hi @bill

Use the "list" icon (mouse over says "Change Tab") to the left of the tabs. That should show you the full names of all the tabs.

-John

John Rousseau / VP, Technical Operations / Onshape Inc.
    BTW @bill‌, your comments about how to communicate while collaborating are interesting and important to us. 

What would you want to use if your collaborators were online and in the document now (voice? chat? comment boxes?)? What would you use for leaving information for offline collaborators?

Thanks
    -John
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    How about google docs?

Let's see if Jon let's me edit his document.

We're mixing collaboration threads, Jon posted a google document on the "big toy" collaboration and I'm trying to add to his comments. Hopefully this can be used as a communication tool inside a document.

I thought about screen sharing and there's to many of these things available, not sure OS needs to do this. I like the idea of "text & images" so they get archived with the project. Dries uses pdf's and they work fine, but I don't use adobe and I certainly don't use microsoft. I think pages is a bad idea. I think google docs is good if it works.

offline, what does this mean? Aren't you always connected? If it's a document, they can always read it.  I think videos are a bad idea, could you imagine watching a design review meeting-boring.

Thanks for the list tab option.

• caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
    @bill,
    No need to worry about NDA. There is no IP sensitive stuff in there!

A little intro:
    • T21 and T22 are two types of radiator. T21 is narrow, T22 is wide.
    • ‘VTX-Side-panel-clip_T2x’ are parts that have already been molded.
    • ‘VTX-Side-panel-clip_T2x_material-saving-proposal’ are some of my attempts to save material. Btw, I would love to check part volume in Onshape!
    • ‘CONTEXT - VTX-Side-panel-clips_T2x_on-radiator’ is a Part Studio/Assembly of the fully assembled T21 and T22 radiator.

I agree with you completely about the ability to communicate. I'll think about an efficient way to handle this off the forum.

@JohnRousseau,
    Interesting subject...

"What would you want to use if your collaborators were online and in the document now (voice? chat? comment boxes?)?"
    I think chat (and logging) is a must. Voice would be nice to have.

"What would you use for leaving information for offline collaborators?"
    3D markups/annotations. Plus: a 'whiteboard' to organize information organically, more interactivily (sticky notes!) and more visually. With many tabs in one document, I find that navigating around in the document can get quite cumbersome. Especially reorganizing tabs is frustrating.
    As a side note: I would love to see Assembly structures (Assy, Sub Assies, Part Studios) more visually. I think a tree structure would look great.

Dries
    I agree with Dries, 

-chat (messaging), logging capabilities
    -screen capture with markup would be nice, add to chat for historical reasons
    -voice would be nice, I could see using that
    edited November 2014
    @bill‌ - "offline" meaning someone that wasn't collaborating (logged into Onshape) with you right now but would look at your changes later.

-John
    Dries-

Thanks for the product clarification,