Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - March 14th, 2022

2»

Comments

• wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 472 PRO
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    The centerlines thing is already a problem for me. Who in their right mind wants centerlines displayed by default for fillets? 

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    AFAIK it shouldn't be seeing fillets, but I voted up your request.

In addition, am I alone in saying this wouldn't be bad to remove from the Onshape until it's more complete, or the option to turn off is applied?
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 517
    We have a bug fix coming for centerlines for fillets.  We should not be generating those. 

We also will likely make views of parts default to them being hidden.  There are more things to add in the future, such as default options in the properties panel so users can define how they want them on views of parts.  We may also deliver hide/show support for individual automatic centerlines.  
    edited March 2022
    In this case the part is imported from Creo. It's not perfect at recognizing what's a fillet and what's not. I'm sure that's part of the issue, but this should be part of the development process.

Also any user with experience with complex models in other CAD systems can tell you anything where you just "show all" in a drawing view is going to suck. Whether it's dimensions or axes or whatever. There was a time in the CAD industry when people were sold on the idea that a drawing has every dimension needed to fabricate the part, and the CAD model has each of those dimensions only once in sketches or features in such a way that it would show up automagically in a drawing view. With things like complex consumer electronics or medical injection molded parts, this is impossible and a disaster.

"Critical-to-function" (CTF) drawings are all about putting only the things that are critical to be inspected for quality and manufacturing info on the drawing, and nothing else. If the system vomits annotations on a drawing, it just makes it harder to build, inspect and it costs more.

The part drawings in my industry typically start with notes something like this:

We do not need to dimension or annotate every last feature on a part.
    S1mon said:

Also any user with experience with complex models in other CAD systems can tell you anything where you just "show all" in a drawing view is going to suck. Whether it's dimensions or axes or whatever. There was a time in the CAD industry when people were sold on the idea that a drawing has every dimension needed to fabricate the part, and the CAD model has each of those dimensions only once in sketches or features in such a way that it would show up automagically in a drawing view. With things like complex consumer electronics or medical injection molded parts, this is impossible and a disaster.

"Critical-to-function" (CTF) drawings are all about putting only the things that are critical to be inspected for quality and manufacturing info on the drawing, and nothing else. If the system vomits annotations on a drawing, it just makes it harder to build, inspect and it costs more.

The part drawings in my industry typically start with notes something like this:

We do not need to dimension or annotate every last feature on a part
    100%
  • danny_paynedanny_payne Member, User Group Leader Posts: 35 PRO
    Nice updates. Looking forward to using these.
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    En este enlace podéis ver las Novedades de Onshape en español
    https://youtu.be/w_X1ICaQHKg
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
    PeteYodis said:
    @john_mcclary @S1mon @wayne_sauder @eirik_r_guttulsrud @romeograham

The issue with some filleted edges receiving centerlines has been fixed.  Also automatic centerlines is off by default for part views now.  More to come in this area since some will want more flexibility here in different ways.  
    Thank you Pete
  • PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 517
    I forgot to mention here yesterday that the export bug on centermarks has also been corrected. 
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    S1mon said:
    [...]
    This sort of responsiveness is great, and unlike anything else in the professional CAD world.
    We didn't even have to wait for the next three weeks!
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • md_shahinur_rahmanmd_shahinur_rahman Member Posts: 2
    In my opinion, it woule appropriate for Hiding shortcut key 'H' for hide and toggling with the 'Shift+H' to show.
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    In my opinion, it woule appropriate for Hiding shortcut key 'H' for hide and toggling with the 'Shift+H' to show.
    H is already used for Show Mates Mode and the Horizontal constraint in sketches though...
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am impressed with all the latest enhancements/improvements but I have one question.......When will we see the next batch of Sheet Metal enhancements/improvements?  :)
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• Marc_MillerMarc_Miller Member Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    More great updates, thank you!
  • yong_kimyong_kim Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    Great , I Love it.  B)
    It's that time of the 3 week cycle....