Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Help Me shell this part

Best Answer

• steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022 Answer ✓
    @vishal_sharma854

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/61b45df181f5e20cf3f97219/w/aeb882e8c326cd29046c4dcb/e/162aa1e35af6ff0aae58d9f4

First off, before even thinking about the shell, I noticed a couple ripples or buckling in the surface of your part. And I wanted to eliminate those. I thought simplifying your initial sketch would help to remedy this

So I altered Sketch 1 where you had that large arc on the top surface towards the front.

I re-ordered some of the features, and in so doing, was able to eliminate one of the chamfers

I moved the front face of that upper projection backwards just a little bit so the small fillet would work

And I shelled before applying that small fillet

Answers

edited May 2022 Answer ✓
    @vishal_sharma854

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/61b45df181f5e20cf3f97219/w/aeb882e8c326cd29046c4dcb/e/162aa1e35af6ff0aae58d9f4

First off, before even thinking about the shell, I noticed a couple ripples or buckling in the surface of your part. And I wanted to eliminate those. I thought simplifying your initial sketch would help to remedy this

So I altered Sketch 1 where you had that large arc on the top surface towards the front.

I re-ordered some of the features, and in so doing, was able to eliminate one of the chamfers

I moved the front face of that upper projection backwards just a little bit so the small fillet would work

And I shelled before applying that small fillet

@vishal_sharma854

You could also move that upper projection forward of the lines shown in yellow above. And the small fillet will also work if you do that

You just cannot have that small fillet falling right on top of those yellow lines, because that’s when the fillet will fail

Look at Part Studio 1B

• vishal_sharma854vishal_sharma854 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks, @steve_shubin this is great, and the part looks much better, the rearranging of the features is a good insight and I'll use this in my future projects. I'm gonna try and 3d print it after adding the remaining features.

Thanks again
    @vishal_sharma854

it was my pleasure
    It made me happy hearing that it helped