Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Face Pattern of Fillet Surfaces sometimes produces irregular geometry

antlu65antlu65 Member Posts: 55 EDU
Looking for any guidance regarding an intermittent issue. I've attached images to illustrate.

In this first image, I have a large cylindrical body with a single involute gear tooth joined to it. The gear tooth body was created by sketching its profile, sweeping along a helical path, then joining to the main cylindrical body. Note that I have also applied root fillets (where the sides of the tooth meet the main body).

In this second image, I apply a Circular Pattern (Face Pattern) by selecting the side faces of the tooth, including the fillet faces. This should produce an identical second tooth on the opposite side of the main body.

This third image shows the irregular geometry produced from this operation. This issue appears to occur when the pattern includes the fillet faces. Without the fillet faces, things appear to work fine.

I've attached a document with two examples of the issue here: [Link]. Any guidance appreciated, thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I can't tell you why the pattern is breaking. You can submit this as a bug and might get some better answers from OS support. However, in the meantime, it seems that you can get the pattern to work by removing the root fillet. It's more tedious, but you can add the fillet separately after the pattern.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/782d05e9ea767bc8d5166929/w/36cdf1e04615f3825171b744/e/bcd404f1a6f05444ca6ece42

• antlu65antlu65 Member Posts: 55 EDU
    Appreciate the response. Yes, I had previously implemented root fillets by applying opFillet to the edges of each gear tooth individually. It produces the correct result, but I would really like to have the performance benefit of using the face pattern.