Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Edit in Context

Axel_KollmenterAxel_Kollmenter Member Posts: 410 PRO
edited August 2022 in General
How can I jump back to "edit in Context" after I taped into an other partstudio/assembly/...? Without adding the new part in the assembly and right click "edit in context". Is there an option?

Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter

Answers

• Axel_KollmenterAxel_Kollmenter Member Posts: 410 PRO
    Ok so there is no other option instead of importing the empty part to the asm. and right click "edit in context"
    Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter
  • christian_sturtevantchristian_sturtevant Member Posts: 7 PRO
    @Axel_Kollmenter That is what I do.

I liked how @NeilCooke saves the in-context reference in his cable-wire-routing tool with a featureScript function. The custom function generates an empty composite-part (that is excluded from the BOM, has no mass, etc) which, when added to an assembly, saves the context reference. If the context is lost, because no reference to the context was added, you can simply right-click the reference part and click edit in-context again.

I extracted the function that does just that here.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/e0ff553d4d80306cb87a03ed/v/3e690a275f827f5c9f291c4f/e/899c7dd61072f7beab34140f?renderMode=0&uiState=62fbc690bfbba455b0954b1d
    Yeah I know this. Thank you. But it might be helpful sometimes to have the contextmenu (at the top, left) right after you clicked "new part in context". So even when the new part is empty, you still can tab around into other parts.
    Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter
    What exactly does your featurescript?
    Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter
  • christian_sturtevantchristian_sturtevant Member Posts: 7 PRO
    @Axel_Kollmenter
    The featurescript creates an empty composite-part and mate connector which can be added to the assembly that the context was derived from. In the GIF you can see me create the in-context part-studio, add the reference featurescript and import it into the assembly. I also showed that by right-clicking the composite and pressing edit-in-context I could reopen the context that had been lost.

Hope this helps!

edited August 2022
    Yes, but isn't it the same as how you can normally edit in context?
    When I insert the context part to my Assembly (even if its still empty) I can jump back to my context part and select the assembly as the context in the top left dropdown menu.

Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter