Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Stop Onshape appending "Drawing 1" to new drawings

G'day Onshape experts!

I'm in the process of setting up my companies approvals workflow and standardising how we name parts, assemblies, and drawings. Something that is quite annoying is that when you make a drawing of a part / assembly by default it names the drawing the part / assemblies name and then appends "Drawing 1".

I understand that Onshape likely does this so that if a part / assembly gets multiple drawings they can be differentiated, but this isn't an issue for our naming scheme.

Is there a way to prevent Onshape from appending the "Drawing 1" to the tab?

Best Answer

• emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    There are no option to change that right now.
    I agree with you, this sufix is no needed and usually force users to rename the tab. I would like if the tab just be named as the part/assembly without the "Drawing N" sufix
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común

Answers

• emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I agree with you, this sufix is no needed and usually force users to rename the tab. I would like if the tab just be named as the part/assembly without the "Drawing N" sufix
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • M_HellesseyM_Hellessey Member Posts: 2 PRO
    Damn. I figured this would probably be the answer, but still annoying. Thanks @emagdalenaC2i!
  • michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
    FWIW, you can edit the Drawing Tab name and delete the " 1" from the name.  It's a PITA, but does work.

• EMBASSY_DESIGNEMBASSY_DESIGN Member Posts: 6 PRO
    Agree, I have to change it every time, waste of time.  Is this on the change request list.  I shall check and vote for it.
  • BenTaylorBenTaylor Member Posts: 43 PRO
    Ben Taylor
    Lead Mechanical Engineer @ Healing Innovations
    Onshape Ambassador
  • J_CalJ_Cal Member Posts: 2
    I would also like to see this improvement!