Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Move Variable/s from Part Studio to Variable Studio?

matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO
Is it possible to move an individual variable, or variable table, from Part-Studio to Variable-Studio?  If so, how?

Comments

• _anton_anton Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 271
    You can copy the entire table by clicking the three-dot menu in the table -> "Copy table", then making a new row in the Variable Studio, and doing Ctrl+V in the name cell. You can format what you're pasting in Excel or similar.
  • matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO
    I had the "copy", but it was executing the "paste" operation that had me flummoxed.  Thanks for the tip @_anton!  Worked like a charm.
  • joel_bruxvoort355joel_bruxvoort355 Member Posts: 3 EDU
    As described above I tried to copy a table (multiple variables) using the three dot menu (from a part studio). When it pastes (ctrl-v) into a name cell in a variable studio !!all of the text remains in the name cell!!.  This is using Chrome on a PC.

The table pastes into multiple cells (columns and rows) in Google Sheets but does not paste correctly in a variable studio.

Any thoughts?

@joel_bruxvoort355

You'll need to make a variable in the Variable Studio first, then single-click its name cell (such that you're not editing the name), then paste. That's the way our table paste works right now.
  • fernando_dominguesfernando_domingues Member Posts: 3
    aaa_anton said:
    @joel_bruxvoort355

You'll need to make a variable in the Variable Studio first, then single-click its name cell (such that you're not editing the name), then paste. That's the way our table paste works right now.
    Man.... That way it works is dumb to say the least. It looks like it should never work doing it that way... We should be able to click 1 button to paste, preferably in the 3 dots menu of a Variable Studio.
    How it works is, you open the variable studio, then create a variable with whatever name, save it, and then, after it is created, you click on that single var and paste...
    @fernando_domingues I agree that it could be better. :smile:

Feel free to write an improvement request; it helps us prioritize things.
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,359 PRO
    I haven’t tried this with Variable studios, but it sounds much like how paste works in Configuration tables. It took me a while to get the hang of it, and it’s not super discoverable, but it does work. 
  • John_StutzJohn_Stutz Member Posts: 4 EDU
    Perhaps I'm missing something, but the pasted value in the variable studio does not update when the value in the variable table changes?
  • pavel_lelyukhpavel_lelyukh Member Posts: 8
    _anton said:
    @fernando_domingues I agree that it could be better. :smile:

Feel free to write an improvement request; it helps us prioritize things.
    There nothing more stupid than having a variable table, a variable studio and not having a one click export button to convert a variable table into a studio instantly. Who the hell managed that project.
  • pavel_lelyukhpavel_lelyukh Member Posts: 8
    You're literally wasting hours of thousands of peoples time
  • es_doubleues_doubleu Member Posts: 4
    For anyone like me that just got to this thread and is still confused on how exactly to transfer a part studio variable table to a new variable studio, here's my attempt at a helpful recap.

1. Click 3 dots on part variable table -> Click copy table
    2. Create variable studio or go to existing variable studio

{wonky part!}
    3. Click the name... cell and type whatever silly name you want (press enter)
    4. Now left click on the silly name
    5. crtl+v/cmd+v

[bonus!]
    6. Delete the row that has the words name etc.
  • stuart_robinsonstuart_robinson Member Posts: 7
    For anyone like me that just got to this thread and is still confused on how exactly to transfer a part studio variable table to a new variable studio, here's my attempt at a helpful recap.

1. Click 3 dots on part variable table -> Click copy table
    2. Create variable studio or go to existing variable studio

{wonky part!}
    3. Click the name... cell and type whatever silly name you want (press enter)
    4. Now left click on the silly name
    5. crtl+v/cmd+v

[bonus!]
    6. Delete the row that has the words name etc.
    you're a hero @es_doubleu thank you so much for spelling this out!!!!  worked amazingly for me. what a relief

@_anton a simple tooltip in the app could basically solve this.  also it looks like this is wrong as @es_doubleu thankfully discovered: https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/variable_table_assembly.htm#Table-options

The Copy table command copies them to the clipboard, but data cannot be pasted into them from the clipboard.