Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Adding volume as a custom property?

S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,381 PRO
Back in January, mass was finally added as automatically computed property. It seems like other properties can be added through FeatureScript.

I want to add part volume as a custom property which can then be added to standard drawing notes.

How do I do that? Is there a standard way to do this?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    GregBrownGregBrown Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 104
    Answer ✓
    There's a good description and walkthrough on this page: Computed-part-properties (onshape.com) 
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,381 PRO
    @GregBrown
    That's great and I think I can manage to do that since I've done some FeatureScript development, but it's honestly shocking that Onshape expects users to do this in order to implement basic functionality like putting the part volume in a drawing note. Why give us mass, but not volume? It makes zero sense.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,408
    Also, you need a Pro account or above to do this because it is a custom property. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    jelte_steur814jelte_steur814 Member Posts: 78 PRO
    Agree with S1mon! volume should be automatically computed