Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Diptrace STEP file issue

Hi - I'm working with a step file exported from Diptrace (PCB Layout software) - I create the 3D model in Diptrace (looks fine) - then export it as a STEP file. I need to import this into OnShape for further work (enclosure)

I can import the file - but there are some errors in topography. (The PCB lacks a top - so it looks like a baking tray - all of the holes etc show up ok. The file opens correctly in Pro E and Solidworks. I have checked with DipTrace support and they advise there is nothing wrong with the step file.

I have read up on correcting topology errors in OnShape - but not found any solution that works so far.

Has anyone else encountered these sorts of issues - or have a solution to offer?

Thanks
Tagged:

Best Answer

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Answer ✓
    What I meant was, if you have SolidWorks, load it into that and export as Parasolid. I asked a friend to do just that and it comes in garbage (actually worse) so I think the best option would be to open a support ticket with DipTrace!

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI

Answers

If it opens in SolidWorks then for a quick fix export it as Parasolid and try that in Onshape. 

Otherwise the only recourse is to create a support ticket or share the doc here. 
  • peter_trumanpeter_truman Member Posts: 4
    Hmmn. The only export options I have from DipTrace is Step and VRML (I can't import VRML into Onshape as a 3D model)

I've created a simple example - just a small board with a few components (some surface mount and some through hole- the 3D model looks fine in Diptrace. See attached. Onshape reports the same 'faulty topology' error for the board.

How do I submit a ticket?
    Answer ✓
    What I meant was, if you have SolidWorks, load it into that and export as Parasolid. I asked a friend to do just that and it comes in garbage (actually worse) so I think the best option would be to open a support ticket with DipTrace!

Ok - thanks - will do

Ok - seems I can't open a ticket since I don't have a professional subscription.

I'll fiddle around a bit and see what I can do.