Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Mobile (Android) Import

brian_bumpbrian_bump Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
Is it possible to import a file on a mobil device (Android)?  I just created an Onshape account and installed the app on my Galaxy S4, but can't seem to find a way to import a file like I can on my desktop.

Best Answers

• CypressCypress Onshape Employees Posts: 19
    Answer ✓
    Hey, I'm one of our android developers. You can't import files yet. We'll keep in mind that people want this when we prioritize what we work on next.

Answers

• brian_bumpbrian_bump Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Thanks Nicolas.
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    nav said:
    Hi @brian_bump at the moment is not possible to import a model to OS using the Android app, as stated in a post by @jakeramsley I couldn't find this will be available but there is no specific date. 
    I don't believe I have said something to this effect.  I am unsure of what the hurdles are of importing data from a mobile device.  I will ping one of our Android developers for a response.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry @jakeramsley I thought I read it, I`m going nuts.... :s
    Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions
    Answer ✓
    Hey, I'm one of our android developers. You can't import files yet. We'll keep in mind that people want this when we prioritize what we work on next.
    Oh, and for those reading this. If you want to be able to import files on android (or have any other ideas for what to improve on android, for that matter) please submit an improvement request: https://forum.onshape.com/categories/improvement-requests. We pay close attention to what people are requesting. : )
  • brian_bumpbrian_bump Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    It may seem odd to want to upload a file from a mobile device; how many people have drawing files stored on their phones?  Let me clarify my request.  After downloading the app, I wanted to open a file.  I knew I had a SolidWorks file stored in my DropBox, but couldn't access it from my mobile device. This is where the mobile upload feature would be useful.  Thanks cypress_frankenfeld_1.
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    I've been pulling my phone out my pocket and showing people my designs in onshape.  I haven't tried to design on my phone yet.

If there's one thing that'll sell onshape to SW users.... pull your phone out and show'm what you're working on. It's fun to watch their expressions.