Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Drilling hole on the opposide side

michal_bartakmichal_bartak Member Posts: 17
Recently I faced this problem several times asking myself is there any shortcut for that. Hence motivation to write this post.

I draw a sketch of the object to be extruded and the point positioning a future hole.
I extrude the object and then attempt to create a countersink hole directed from the top surface of the object. 

At this stage, using the already created point gives me the option to drill the countersink hole from the bottom to the top (from the sketch surface) only.
Is there a simple/quick way how to drill the hole from top surface without creating another sketch with a plane set to the top of the object's surface?

Here is on shape document for example from screenshot above: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/1098f17aa2583b24d99e166d/w/1294ceada4789d58d410b8d6/e/69368c49a561fcc1df036277?renderMode=2&uiState=63d28a1bef705502fc6055bc

thank in advance

Best Answer

• eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,461 PRO
    Answer ✓
    The only way I can think off is using a mate connector centered on the sketch point. However you may still have to re-orient it as well as add an offset larger than the thickness of the extrude so quite a few clicks still...
    It would be nice if it was smart enough to look "the other way" when you flip the direction (and you don't have the "start from sketch plane" option selected)

Answers

• eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,461 PRO
    Answer ✓
    The only way I can think off is using a mate connector centered on the sketch point. However you may still have to re-orient it as well as add an offset larger than the thickness of the extrude so quite a few clicks still...
    It would be nice if it was smart enough to look "the other way" when you flip the direction (and you don't have the "start from sketch plane" option selected)

• glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    I've run into this a lot lately.
    I agree with Eric. If the direction good be flipped it would be a time saver.
  • michal_bartakmichal_bartak Member Posts: 17
    Thank you guys for confirmation