Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Two tangent mates

Dean_GardnerDean_Gardner Member Posts: 88 PRO
Has anyone ever managed to have one part mate tangentially in two positions?  I have a plate with rollers moving along two tracks from one position to another and this should work, but Onshape thinks that i am over defining the assembly, which i am not.  If i remove one of the tangent propagation options on either mate, it works.  But of course that does not provide the movement i need.  Anyone have a workaround for this type of mate?

Answers

• Options
    Solved it! The pink part has tangent surfaces as well, so in fact it was overdefined!  When the pink part is just made from cylinders and does not have the attached tangent geometry, it works well.
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,500 PRO
    Good to see you sorted it out! You could probably just pick the circular edge at the end of the pink part (instead of the surface) to get around that issue.
    If everything else fails, you can always use some intermediate "dummy" geometry like sketches/surfaces/curves. In this case a sketch with just line with the end "tangent" to a curve representing the centerline of the track and mated to the pink part would remove any risk of over-constraining anything.
  • Options
    The dummy sketches is how i solved it in the end, they worked and it dawned on me!  Thanks.