Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

importing dwg files

keppelkeppel Member Posts: 7
i have a large file that is an Autocad LT file that i would like to import into Onshape to create 3D parts for. i have imported the file but it appears that i can do nothing with it. is there something i am doing wrong or is this not doable yet? 

Comments

• Options
    navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @keppel at the moment is not possible to import DWG files and use them, here is a forum post with the discussion, OS is working on this feature apparently :

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/432/dwg-dxf-import-as-sketch
    Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions
  • Options
    ok, onshape can now import dwg files but when i try and open them up i get a error message that say geometry is beyond systems limits. what does this mean, and what is being done to fix it? 
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    @keppel might be worth sharing with support. It's the slider at the bottom of the share dialogue.

The only other thing I can think is to break your file down into smaller chunks and see if these import.

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    brian_drakebrian_drake Onshape Employees Posts: 2
    @keppel this usually happens when the units the dwg file was created in are smaller than the units you are currently working in, and the conversion creates geometry that is too large to work with. Selecting a smaller unit (like millimeters) from the units dropdown in the import dxf/dwg dialog usually resolves the problem when you are inserting a large file. It is possible that even with the appropriate units selected geometry beyond the system limit can be created, and in this case the only current solution is to do as @brucebartlett suggested and try to break the dwg files into geometrically smaller entities.
  • Options
    thanks to you both i will try both solutions.