Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

"Use" projection failure

thomas_holfordthomas_holford Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
Document: Simpson Strongtie A35 framing angle

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/13e5e699cf0a40cf9565ee0c/w/cb1a6326c0da44a0a1919bb0/e/1c54bb347c0e46b8a13a8599

Part Studio 1

I imported file A35.dwg which placed a 2D drawing of an "L"-shaped part on the Top Plane

I extruded the orthogonal side of the part parallel to the front plane, and created a coincident plane "Back plane" that is 90 degrees to the drawing sketch ("SKetch 1). This side is a blank stock on which I want to project a sketch profile.

I tried as best I could to fix up the orthogonal side drawing on the Top Plane (it still isn't fully constrained) and project it onto the orthogonal blank using the "Use" operation.

1.New "Sketch 2" on "Back Plane"
2 Use "Sketch 1"

This operation results in the following error: "Some entities could not be projected onto the current sketch".

OnShape appears to be somehow trying to place the projected sketch IN the  Top Plane.

Question:  How do I get the  2D drawing on the Top Plane projected onto the orthogonal stock on the Back Plane.
Question: How do I control the "registration" of the projected drawing? I.e. how do I align it so that the profile of the finished part is correctly spaced relative to the Top Plan extrusion?

Answers

• viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    @thomas_holford , You have to select sketch1 from model tree and with the help of use command user can project sketch 1 without getting error. After that you can fix up the orthogonal side drawing on the top plane with the help of coincident constrain.
  • thomas_holfordthomas_holford Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    viru said:
    @thomas_holford , You have to select sketch1 from model tree and with the help of use command user can project sketch 1 without getting error. After that you can fix up the orthogonal side drawing on the top plane with the help of coincident constrain.
    Your suggestion leads to a dead end:

1.) Tab: Part Studio 1
    2.) Orientation: Top
    3.) Feature tree: Sketch 1

Sketch 1 selected, all elements high-lighted

"Use" command not available

4.) Right click, "Clear selection"
    5.) Click on perimeter line elements of lower drawing.

Perimeter is high-lighted.
    Feature tree elements high-lighted:
    a.) Sketch 1
    b.) Extrude 3
    c.) Part 2

"Use" command not available

Now what?
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Use the ? -menu and send feedback to Onshape. Then share your model with support.
    //rami