Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Beams / Frame Generation (Tutorial) - Where Is It?

I've just worked through Onshape Fundamentals: CAD course. I enjoyed the course, am impressed with what Onshape has to offer, and am planning to adopt Onshape for my business.

I'm used to using Autodesk Inventor, and use Inventor's frame generator feature quite often. It seems like Onshape's equavalent is "Beams." It would be great to have a good tutorial to work through, understand, and be confident with the "Beams" feature before jumping right in and committing to Onshape.

Are there only youtube videos right now? I really like the quality of the courses in the Onshape Fundamentals series. The courses instil more confidence than just watching a video or two.

Best Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    Answer ✓
    Hi @jesse_kessler030 - Beams is a custom feature, which is why there are no official tutorials for it. You can see a recorded webinar on how to use it here: https://www.onshape.com/videos/creating-weldments-06-13-16

Please note that the process of adding your own profiles (from 44:00 onwards in the video) is not required anymore. The latest version of Beams allows you to select a sketch from another document.

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • jesse_kessler030jesse_kessler030 Member Posts: 2
    Answer ✓
    Thanks for the updated information Neil.

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    Answer ✓
    Hi @jesse_kessler030 - Beams is a custom feature, which is why there are no official tutorials for it. You can see a recorded webinar on how to use it here: https://www.onshape.com/videos/creating-weldments-06-13-16

Please note that the process of adding your own profiles (from 44:00 onwards in the video) is not required anymore. The latest version of Beams allows you to select a sketch from another document.

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • jesse_kessler030jesse_kessler030 Member Posts: 2
    Answer ✓
    Thanks for the updated information Neil.