Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Derivated beahviour

fmafma Member Posts: 87 ✭✭
Hi,

I inserted a part from a Part Studio in an Assembly. Then, I derivated that Part, and modified it. Now I see that the initial part, inserted in the Assembly, is also modified. Why? I though that the initial Part would remain untouched...

Thanks,

Answers

• Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @fma - we are a little confused, your initial expectation is the correct one - the derived part (and any modifications) have zero effect on the parent.
    Please feel free to post a link or submit a support ticket and we will be happy to look at it.
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    fmafma Member Posts: 87 ✭✭
    Well, I started to make a simple example, but it works.

So I removed the part from my assembly, then re-inserted it, and it now works fine. Don't know what happened, I may have made a mistake, but I don't understand how.

Anyway, thanks for your answer.
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @fma - not a problem. If i had to guess, i would say that you had accidentally used the derived part in your assembly. :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape