Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

subassemblies in assemblies

karen_wagner223karen_wagner223 Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
I am working on an assembly that has a subassembly. When I insert the sub it brings all the parts as separate files instead of inserting as 1 file.
How can I make my sub assembly only insert the top level and not all the individual parts? I need to show the sub as a separate line item on my BOM as this is a separate vendor operation.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated. 
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Answer ✓
    If you set your BOM type to "structured" instead of "flattened" then sub assemblies will show as single line.

The "Instance list" should already show the sub assy in your main assy, just with the option to expand it by clicking on the ">" icon.  Is that not what you're seeing?

Cheers,
    Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    Answer ✓
    when inserting a sub-assy, make sure you change the insert to 'assemblies'. I often load part studios vs. assemblies when not clicking on the 'assemblies' option. After 4 years, I'm still doing it, maybe this needs some UI enhancements.

Answers

• Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Answer ✓
    If you set your BOM type to "structured" instead of "flattened" then sub assemblies will show as single line.

The "Instance list" should already show the sub assy in your main assy, just with the option to expand it by clicking on the ">" icon.  Is that not what you're seeing?

Cheers,
    Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    karen_wagner223karen_wagner223 Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    I was able to move the parts from the subassembly to an assenbly document and then after renaming it showed up in my assembly as one part number.
    Not sure if this is the best approach and welcome any suggestions or ways other users addressed this in their subassemblies.
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    Answer ✓
    when inserting a sub-assy, make sure you change the insert to 'assemblies'. I often load part studios vs. assemblies when not clicking on the 'assemblies' option. After 4 years, I'm still doing it, maybe this needs some UI enhancements.