Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Mirror AND Merge?

christopher_owenschristopher_owens Member Posts: 235 ✭✭
Hello! Now that I have got to the point where I want to "Mirror" my part about a center plane, I would want the finished "mirror" to be merged into Part 1. There is no selection for this to happen during the "Mirror". I will have to create a Boolean-Merge to make both halves one part!

PS Again, would be nice to have "Upload" image while asking a Question!
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    Here is the Uploaded image...

• Options
    This creates Part 6...

Which then is Boolean-Merge into Part 1.

• Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    What is the problem with boolean merge? 

If mirror feature had it's own merge, it would work only when halfs are touching each other; that is not always the case.
    Though, I wouldn't mind if there was a merge box similar to extrude.
    //rami
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with it... just an extra step!
  • Options
    Although I did make good use of Extrude-Remove; Move Face-Rotate; Draft; Fillet to create the corner "pocket". Then Extrude-New-Up To Surface (using the same sketch from the first feature and the now rotated bottom surface of the pocket); Boolean-Remove Part 1 from Part 2-Keep Tools (to get the draft and fillet on Part 2 and have all be driven);Pattern Part (Part 2)-Two Directions; and the Boolean-Remove (Part 3 & Part 5 from Part 1) to recreate the corner pocket and have them all driven!! I am learning! (Part 4 in the Pattern is hidden)

• Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Lets just say, we are very aware that this would be a very cool capability :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    Mr_SnrubMr_Snrub Member Posts: 3 PRO
    any luck on mirrored features being optionally merged these days?

Thanks!
  • Options
    _anton_anton Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 274
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 666 PRO
    Mr_Snrub said:
    any luck on mirrored features being optionally merged these days?

Thanks!
    It's done that for many years. You must be in the "new" tab within the mirror tool. Try any of the other tabs.