Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to insert Text in sketch

namju_KImnamju_KIm Member Posts: 2
edited June 2015 in Community Support
Hi 

How do insert text into a sketch?
It can be used to import from outside?

Answers

• andy_morrisandy_morris Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 87
    Onshape does not currently have Sketch Text, but I will add you to the improvement request.
    In the meantime you could import the text as a solid from another CAD system and then Boolean subtract to get the desired result.
    Andy Morris / Head of Product Design / Onshape, Inc.
  • ryan_blackwoodryan_blackwood Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    I too am looking for text.  I'm using this primarily to design models for 3D Printing, and several of my items have text.
  • benjamin_3benjamin_3 Member Posts: 5
    I also am hoping that it will come with the next update, working on something right now that needs text.
  • danielle_2danielle_2 Member Posts: 2
    In the education space, students love customizing items with their names. It would be great to see an added function of utilizing text in Onshape. I don't have a strong preference for particular fonts.
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    In the education space, students love customizing items with their names. It would be great to see an added function of utilizing text in Onshape. I don't have a strong preference for particular fonts.
    Sketch Text has been available since July 17th.  See: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/1209/improvements-to-onshape-july-17-2015
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Marc_MillerMarc_Miller Member Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    Perhaps related to this question...  I wanted to use a custom font in my Onshape project the other day.  Here's a solution that worked for me:

I used Inkscape to type the text out in the custom font.
    Then selected the text and under the Path menu selected "Object to Path".
    Then Save As a dxf file, and when saving Unchecked the use ROBO-Master and LWPOLYLINE type options.

Back in Onshape in your document:
    From the bottom left + (plus) symbol, Import the dxf file.
    Start a new Sketch and then use the Insert dxf drawing icon.
    Constrain text as needed (I just selected all and did Fix.)
    Extrude.
    Done!

• andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dig the automatic colours!