Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Length of rod/extrusion/beam based on other part.

erik_bongerserik_bongers Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
When I have metal extrusion with a variable lenght (via a configuration), how do I set the lenght to that of another part?

Answers

• Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Option a, use the same variable to drive both parts
    Option b, use the "Measure Distance" featurescript to make the measurement, and then use that variable to set the length of the other part.

Cheers, Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    are you trying to set the configured length to match another part, or are you trying to have the other part match the configured part's length?

Does it always match the length of the other part?
    Are they in the same part studio?
  • Options
    erik_bongerserik_bongers Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    @owen_sparks : A script that transforms a measurement to a variable sounds promising. Will look into it. Thanks.
    @john_mcclary : I took another route.
    I wasn't aware of the Beams featurescript when asking the question. I can create a sketch based on other part's dimensions and then use the lines of that sketch to create beams/rods/extrusions. The latest version allows for a custom profile via user-interface.Very handy!

Thanks for the replies!