Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Exporting to Utilamaker Cura

bill_hayesbill_hayes Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
I'm trying to learn Onshape through using the free version and following the exercises in "Getting Started with Onshape" Second edition. I completed the signet ring drawing and tried to export it as an STL file to Utilimaker Cura. It doesn't work. When I try to open the file either from a download on my computer or as an export directly from the parts studio it opens Cura but all I have on the screen is an empty printer stage. So, what am I doing wrong? I need to confirm that I can get useable STL and G code files out of this thing before I start plunking down $1500/year for it.

Best Answers

• bill_hayesbill_hayes Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Joe Dunne, you hit the nail right on the head. I was drawing in inches as per the instructions in the book. Ultimaker was interpreting them as MM. The TINY little dot in the center of the stage wasn't a marker, it was my drawing in miniature. I'll do another drawing tomorrow in metric and try exporting that.

Thanks Joe!

Answers

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi and welcome to the forum. I'm afraid I can't tell you what's causing your issue but I can confirm I've exported and printed hundreds of parts from Onshape via STL files and they have been perfect.

If you'd like to link here you your Onshape document I'd be happy to have a look at a file for you.

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • robert_morrisrobert_morris OS Professional, Developers Posts: 166 PRO
    We export STL's all the time to be used in Lulzbot Cura without any problems.

Here are the settings we use for export:
    STL Format: Binary
    Units: Millimeter
    Resolution: Fine
    Thanks! I will try to link the file.It doesn't work. It says file format not allowed.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    @bill_hayes just post the URL to your Onshape document. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    Answer ✓
    Joe Dunne, you hit the nail right on the head. I was drawing in inches as per the instructions in the book. Ultimaker was interpreting them as MM. The TINY little dot in the center of the stage wasn't a marker, it was my drawing in miniature. I'll do another drawing tomorrow in metric and try exporting that.

Thanks Joe!