Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

BEAMS profile configuration in PS

Greetings, I have a BEAMS frame in a PS that I want to configure for different BEAM profiles for some of the parts.
Not all profiles are available in the standard BEAMS profiles so I created some profile sketches and insert these as custom (sketch) profiles.
However, when I go to configure them in the PS configurations dialogue flyout all beams for all configurations of that part change to the one I select.
Fig 1 shows the default configuration.

When I change configuration DB (4) from RHS 102x76x3.5 to a Standard BEAMS profile (Fig 2) all other configurations change to N/A and I can't change these without going to the feature tree and changing it there. 
Not sure what I am missing here but any help with this would be much appreciated.

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,367
    I am not sure (have never tested) if reference profiles can be configured. Can you share the URL to your doc so I can see the behaviour?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Jack_van_BerkelJack_van_Berkel Member Posts: 6 PRO
    Thank you for the response. I think I have found a solution. I followed your video at https://www.onshape.com/videos/creating-weldments-06-13-16 and added the custom profile(s). The profiles work within the document\workspace where a copy of BEAMS and the added profiles reside. Does that mean that if I want to use these profiles in another document I will have to have another copy of BEAMS added to that document and include the custom profiles? And what happens to these custom profiles when the BEAMS feature updates to a later version?

I am impressed by Onshape information available online and in this forum. With thanks
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,367
    If you version your copy of the Beams doc you can add it to your toolbar and use it wherever. But, when the original is updated, yours will be out of sync (it's easily rectified and is not updated that often - just copy/paste the code from the original to your copy and create a new version).
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI