Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Symmetry Relationship

Jimmy_BarreraJimmy_Barrera OS Professional Posts: 7 PRO
I'm trying to add a symmetrical relationship between two points (one on the left and one on the right) and a center line in my sketch, but I don't see a Symmetrical Relationship button. Is this in the works...or did I overlook something?

Comments

• Options
    Paul ArnerPaul Arner Onshape Employees Posts: 9
    have you looked for mirror? (Towards the center of the toolbar menu in sketch)
  • Options
    mark_biasottimark_biasotti Member Posts: 123 ✭✭✭
    @Jbarrera_CQ‌

that's because there is no symmetry con taint - along with Pierce Constraint (both greatly needed) - and mirror sketch geometry is not a substitute - unless it actually works that way (mirror doubles as a symmetry constraint.)

Mark
  • Options
    You are correct. Mirror copies the geometry across the mirror line and creates symmetry constraints in the process. Once the process completes, the symmetry constraint remains to enforce the mirror-like behavior. So in your example, create a single point and a line of symmetry, and then mirror the point about the line and I think this will give you what you wanted.
  • Options
    The issue is that we make some assumptions about the geometry on both sides of the symmetry constraint which are difficult to ensure if the user were to be able to create the constraint himself (mostly for more complex geometry).
  • Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    I have logged a ticket and improvement for this @Jbarrera_CQ‌ If there are others, let me know.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.