Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How Do I Design a Pulley With Multiple Layers of Ropes

I am in the process of importing and extending a design of a mobile crane from Solidworks to Onshape.

Instead of simply importing the parts and assemblies from Solidworks to Onshape, I am redesigning the Solidwork parts in Onshape Part-Studios and then create assemblies. The main reason is the flexibility, I can achieve in adjusting and manipulating the newly created parts and therefore I am able to simulate the behaviour of the crane movements.

The next step would be the design of the pulley with multiple layers of ropes around the sheaves.
Here are some views, how the design looks like in SolidWorks: 

Now the question is: how can I design the 3-dimensional layout of the ropes in Onshape?

I can import the design from SolidWorks

but since Onshape only supports part imports and not feature imports, I cannot manipulate and change this imported design.
And I have no clue, how I would create such a design from scratch!

Any advise is appreciated!

Best Regards

Gerald Kreissig

Tagged:

Answers