Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Missing parts in STEP file import in OS Assembly

PDPD Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
I have a STEP file that I imported.  It is an assembly.  OS brings all the parts into a parts studio correctly.  I then add the STEP assembly to an OS assembly.  When I do this, some of the parts from the STEP file is missing.  I checked to ensure it is not hidden.  Has anyone experienced this or know of a solution?

I just went back and looked at the parts tree and it appears that it is actually a series of surfaces that are missing.  I'm still now sure why they show up in the parts studio and disappear in the Assembly though.  Perhaps this is an expected behavior?

Best Answer

Answers

• andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    It is not currently possible to insert surfaces (or sketches) into assemblies, only solid parts can be inserted.
    You may wish to raise an "Improvement Request", which beta users can vote on.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    As a solution you could use 'thicken' feature to convert your surfaces into solid parts.
    //rami
  • PDPD Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Thanks for the answers.  I played around with thicken and it is not optimal as it results in a part with dimensions that are not really true.  I'll raise an improvement request.  Thanks again.