Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Firefox screenshots disabled for Onshape?

brooke_spreenbrooke_spreen Member, Developers Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
I make regular use of the Firefox shortcut Ctrl-Shift-S for taking screenshots of our models in Onshape. This activates a Firefox function which allows me to resize/reposition the screenshot, save to my Downloads folder, and/or copy to the Clipboard, and is super handy for putting together quick documentation, answering questions via email, etc.

However as of today (perhaps as early as last week) this function no longer works for Onshape documents. It behaves on other webpages and with Onshape's homescreen, but in Model/Drawing tabs it returns an empty png of the expected size:

vs.

Has anyone else had this issue? Onshape team, do you know if this was done on purpose or is an unintended side effect of some recent change to either Onshape or to Firefox?

I know Windows and OSX both have their built-in functions, but this Firefox tool was particularly flexible. Would be excited to get it working again!

Any help is appreciated!
Design Engineer | Anerdgy AG
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Note: running Firefox v79.0 (latest release, 28 July 2020)
  • Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    @brooke_spreen
    Someone will answer your question directly.
    As option - have you looked at Lightshot?  It is a very nice screen shot utility.  Functions you mention plus others like mark up, print, etc.  It maps the 'PrtScn' button to launch.   Find at https://app.prntscr.com/en/index.html

www.accuratepattern.com
  • Options
    alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 449 EDU
    Firefox screenshots are working for me in v79.0 on Pop!_OS (GNU/Linux distribution based on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS). Perhaps it's a problem with your operating system? Here are three example screenshots taken with Ctrl+Shift+s just now in Firefox:

If you're taking screenshots for documentation, try using Onshape's "print" tool to make the image. It will have correct transparency with an alpha channel and will be much higher resolution than a screenshot. Access it by going to the three bars menu at the top left and selecting "Print..." Then select a paper size (doesn't really matter, it's just for the aspect ratio), line up your model in the border, and click "Download image" However, it is only for taking screenshots of the model and to export drawings as PDFs, not for including the UI, so it might not be exactly what you're looking for.

Example using Onshape's "Print" system:

Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev
  • Options
    Firefox screenshots are working for me in v79.0 on Pop!_OS
    verrrry interesting. Mine is still misbehaving....will dig into some debugging later today.

Thanks for the clue about "Print"! It doesn't get the same points for speed as Firefox's feature, but it wins on resolution, std aspect ratio, and transparent background. Will for sure be using this in formal documentation.

Cheers!