Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Mass Properties Override - Not working

The check box for overriding the mass properties appears to be disabled.  How do I enable it?     
Thanks in advance.

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,399
    You can’t override multiple individual parts. Make a composite part of all your motor components first then set the mass for that one composite part. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Kyler_WalkerKyler_Walker Member Posts: 183 PRO
    NeilCooke said:
    You can’t override multiple individual parts. Make a composite part of all your motor components first then set the mass for that one composite part. 
    I am finding the mass override does not work well for composite parts.  I successfully overrode the mass for my composite part.  I created a version of my document and update the document reference of an instance of my composite part in an assembly.  I found that the mass still said zero for the composite part. I checked in the tab containing the composite part and found that the mass of my composite part says zero until I click the "Override" checkbox, then I see the correct mass.  I can not edit the mass now that I have set it.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,399
    @Kyler_Walker I am not able to reproduce this, but maybe I'm not understanding fully. Do you have a simple example you can share or a video? If it can't be public, please create a support ticket.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Kyler_WalkerKyler_Walker Member Posts: 183 PRO
    edited October 2022
    @NeilCooke

Here is a simple example I made demonstrates the same behavior.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/612b872b0bc12de808c863d7/w/06fddda5ea3ee963de3b5363/e/3d596f47060865d9f8b94e51?renderMode=0&uiState=6346c61fdb3f084230e5b969

It looks like this is a problem whenever a composite part contains a surface.