Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

question on variable that appears not to work

newbie alert
I am trying to modify a public design that has variables.  I think the design and variable work, and it is a case of a newbie user not knowing how to do it.  Any help would be appreciated.  Here is the model link;
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/ba3d9cd751b36e7dc53fd298/w/127e940cb57097c5cb4cc15d/e/600091c0a520be855f8d0ad9

I try changing the variable #containers value from 10 to 16.  I click the #containers, then change the value from 10 to 16 then click the green check.  It renders for a second or two, but it still has 10 containers and not 16.  I think maybe there is something I am not doing right.  Please assist.

Thanks
b

Best Answer

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    Answer ✓
    It's a badly modelled part - the containers have been created by a sketch pattern (not good practice) in Sketch 4. Sketch pattern instances cannot be controlled by variables and that's why it doesn't work. It would need to be remodelled with one container and then use Circular Pattern feature to create the containers. Note that Circular Pattern 1 which drives the holes around the edge is defined correctly.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    Answer ✓
    It's a badly modelled part - the containers have been created by a sketch pattern (not good practice) in Sketch 4. Sketch pattern instances cannot be controlled by variables and that's why it doesn't work. It would need to be remodelled with one container and then use Circular Pattern feature to create the containers. Note that Circular Pattern 1 which drives the holes around the edge is defined correctly.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • bruce_williams482bruce_williams482 Member Posts: 3
    Thank You for your time.  Glad to hear it was not me.  
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    @bruce_williams482

Welcome to the forum!  Lots of helpful people here.  Great name btw!
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    @bruce_williams482

Great name btw!
    👀
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl