Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Can I adjust dimensions without having to go back to the original sketch?

matt_crmatt_cr Member Posts: 4
Say I create a cylinder from a circle sketch. In solidworks I can click on the cylinder and the diameter and height dimensions appear and I can dynamically adjust them with drag handles - as I do so the model changes too (called "Instant 3D" in SW lingo..) In Onshape it appears I have to go back to the sketch to adjust the diameter (by retyping in the dimensions) or back to the Extrude to adjust the height. Is that correct? Is there a way I can use drag handles on the final shape to adjsut the dimensions?

Thanks.

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,391
    No, but you can edit the feature and use the Final button to see the model rebuild.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    _anton_anton Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 276
    I do things like this by setting the dimension to a variable and then editing its value from the variable table.
  • Options
    matt_crmatt_cr Member Posts: 4
    NeilCooke said:
    No, but you can edit the feature and use the Final button to see the model rebuild.
    Thanks Neil - looks like the closest solution. It dynamically edits the extrude height but unfortunately can't dynamically adjust the sketch diameter.

_anton said:
    I do things like this by setting the dimension to a variable and then editing its value from the variable table.
    Ok thanks I will have a look at that option too.