Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

When will the reality server rendering be available again?

axel_björkaxel_björk Member Posts: 2 EDU
I have an education subscribtion on onshape and currently need to use the onshape reality server render app, but it says coming soon. Anyone knows when it is available again or a free to use app that i can use instead or any other alternatives?

Answers

• Options
    louis_willemselouis_willemse Member Posts: 3 EDU
    Good day all. Please advise. I am unable to access reality server. It appears not to be in the app store. I have read that OnShape purchased the company and have seen that OnShape will have their own soon. 
  • Options
    louis_willemselouis_willemse Member Posts: 3 EDU
    Good day all. Please advise. I am unable to access reality server. It appears not to be in the app store. I have read that OnShape purchased the company and have seen that OnShape will have their own soon. Please advise ASAP
  • Options
    Domenico_DiMareDomenico_DiMare Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 85
    Onshape Render Studio was launched as a beta capability in the Professional and Enterprise subscriptions while we continue to refine the experience and offering. EDU plans were not included in this beta release.

If you are interested in how beta functionality like this is rolled out, I suggest taking a look at the Improvements to Onshape forum post. There are a couple comments about the process and rendering in particular.

If you need rendering for your class, you can always export your models and import them into a different rendering package, or if you use Keyshot, you can check out the connection app in our App Store.
  • Options
    Ste_WilsonSte_Wilson Member Posts: 205 EDU
    I think a lot of education users will need access to rendering.  For the UK  BTEC engineering qualification, rendering is designated in one of the pass criteria.  I think reality server as was, and the now integrated version of this, are probably the most desirable as, for the small but necessary amount of rendering needed for the qualifications, Reality was, generously, free.  I would be more cautious of setting up free trials for my students to allow them to do the work.
  • Options
    steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    I think a lot of education users will need access to rendering.
    If Onshape Render Studio is not available to you at this time, then as far as free renderers go —
    I believe Octane X is free right now
    Twinmotion is also something to consider
    Maybe you can get one or both of these to import an exported Onshape file

• Options
    smurtagh696smurtagh696 Member Posts: 2 EDU
    I think a lot of education users will need access to rendering.  For the UK  BTEC engineering qualification, rendering is designated in one of the pass criteria.  I think reality server as was, and the now integrated version of this, are probably the most desirable as, for the small but necessary amount of rendering needed for the qualifications, Reality was, generously, free.  I would be more cautious of setting up free trials for my students to allow them to do the work.
    Hi Steve,
    Did you ever find a solution to this?  In the same boat for BTEC and need students to be able to get a render completed.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    smurtagh696

I was not in need of a solution for myself but rather just suggesting a couple of renderers that were being offered to the general public FOR FREE, at that time

I made the suggestion because I’ve had no problem exporting out of Onshape and importing into other programs

Below is a rendering of a model I did based on a plan from some outside tutorial that someone was trying to do in Onshape

So I modeled this in Onshape and then exported and imported into a program called formZ where I have a V-ray plug-in that I used to make this rendering

In another instance, somebody here in the forum was doing paver work in their backyard and mentioned a round seating area with a fire pit in the middle

I modeled the below in Onshape, then exported and imported into Vectorworks, In this case, I didn't even bother to use one of Vectorworks renderers because the real-time shader was good enough for what I wanted to convey

Long story short — I’ve found that my free hobbyist version of Onshape plays well with other programs regarding export and import

So if you see one of those free renderers, download it and give it a try

• Options
    Until Onshape’s Rendering becomes available to the education & free users

Here are some possible options 

https://notrianglestudio.com/resources-13-best-free-3d-rendering-software/

• Options
    Ste_WilsonSte_Wilson Member Posts: 205 EDU
    edited January 2023
    Thanks for these suggestions. I will have a look at some of them. The big problem looks to be they need installing, and the college IT dept's start to get twitchy whenever a NEW program is needed!

The Cadasio onshape integrated app does some basic render and is free for up to three projects.

At the risk of heresy on these here boards... Fusion 360 can be installed without admin and, I think, has render capabilities which would certainly keep BTEC happy.

I think in the education sector fusion 360 is the program Onshape needs to beat in terms of functionality, it's heavily marketed in schools.