Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

"New variable" does not work

matti_suuronenmatti_suuronen Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
One of the features I have used and like a lot is the ability to create variable on the fly, by typing in "#" as the first letter of a dimension and selecting "New variable" in the drop down list. However, that functionality seems not to work reliably anymore: sometimes I can define a new variable, but at other times the dialog box for creating a variable does not show up, and the dimesion box just turns red. Tried with two macOS computers and two browsers, Chrome and Safari. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Answers

• Options
    Perhaps I should have asked whether I am the only one with the issue.. :)
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,394
    Working here....
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    _anton_anton Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 276
    Seems to be working fine for me. Does this only happen in sketches, or in feature dialogs as well?
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,514 PRO
    edited March 2022
    Actually saw it happen a couple times yesterday when editing a sketch and trying to add new variables from dimensions!

• Options
    I've only seen it happen with sketches, but did not try on feature dialogs. And now that I try it, it of course works everywhere :)

• Options
    sean_trainor1988sean_trainor1988 Member Posts: 12
    Hi did you ever get this resolved? I'm just working through the "Frames Fundamentals" tutorial and must create a new variable in section 05 Custom Profiles, but I'm getting the same issue you've described above. I edit my sketch dimension and insert # but don't get the "New variable" option.
  • Options
    sean_trainor1988sean_trainor1988 Member Posts: 12
    Hi did you ever get this resolved? I'm just working through the "Frames Fundamentals" tutorial and must create a new variable in section 05 Custom Profiles, but I'm getting the same issue you've described above. I edit my sketch dimension and insert # but don't get the "New variable" option.
    I actually just seem to have found a resolution/workaround for this. It seems that if I enter ## and then delete one #, I get the "New variable" option available.
  • Options
    I've not come across the same issue since. It just disappeared without me doing anything :smile: