Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Boolean resulted in no geometry change. The parts either do not intersect or are totally contained.

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,399
    This is not public, so hard to see what you did, but it looks like you just need to edit Extrude 2 so that it extrudes as a whole cube and not individual segments (this probably happened because you didn't select the whole sketch from the feature list (or select the circle on the end of the shaft)). Then you don't need the loft features to fill in the hole.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    ryda_mortajilryda_mortajil Member Posts: 6
    NeilCooke said:
    This is not public, so hard to see what you did, but it looks like you just need to edit Extrude 2 so that it extrudes as a whole cube and not individual segments (this probably happened because you didn't select the whole sketch from the feature list (or select the circle on the end of the shaft)). Then you don't need the loft features to fill in the hole.
    I am actually trying to not fill the hole.

I am not sure if this link is working: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/f5bb4ec920bac91b9440727c/w/ce0ca15536086cf0300da646/e/9cd8050849af81030d1a1266?renderMode=0&uiState=62cf753c555f9054142d83b7
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,399
    Those parts meet at an infinitely small edge and are therefore impossible to manufacture. There has to be some common volume between parts for a boolean to work.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    NeilCooke said:
    Those parts meet at an infinitely small edge and are therefore impossible to manufacture. There has to be some common volume between parts for a boolean to work.
    I see, the issue is much more clearer now. I wonder if there could be a fix without sacrificing the shape of my model. I kind of like it to be honest.
  • Options
    dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 543 ✭✭✭
    You will need some sort of "weld" to fix the cube-shape to the pipe-shape, or it needs to be floating, then you don't want the boolean.
  • Options
    I managed to fix it by working on the extrude as adviced by @NeilCooke. I just added a little bit of space.

Thank you!

To recap, to avoid this mistake, I need to make sure that the 2 parts are touching each other or partially contained and that they are not impossible to manufacture.