Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Creating a custom beam: Read-only "Beams Profile" tab

Dear @NeilCooke

I have a question regarding adding a simple beam profile, which I cannot find from the pre-defined set.

I have created a simple sketch of a rectangular hollow 100x20x2 mm steal profile. Then, from the "FeatureScript Notices", I retrieve the following coordinates:
"units" : millimeter,
"entries" : { "koker 100x20x2" : { "sequence" : "LLLL-LLLL", "points" : [-50, 10, 50, 10, 50, -10, -50, -10, -50, 10, -48, 8, 48, 8, 48, -8, -48, -8, -48, 8] },
 Result: Regeneration complete

Next step (following your webinar back in 2017) is to copy-paste this snippet into the "beams profile" tab.

However, I have hard time accessing this tab. At the bottom of my page, the part studio and assembly tabs are the only two tabs open.
Furthermore, when I right-click on the item and choose "Open Linked Document", I certainly arrive at the "FeatureScript Beams Profile", but that is read-only.

My question is: how to access the beams profile tab (in writeable mode) to add my simple beam design to the drop-down menu?

Kindest regards
Ehsan

Best Answer

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,388
    Answer ✓
    Hi @ehsan_moravveji - you should now be using the Frame feature which can be found in the Part Studio toolbar. This will use a sketch rather than the cryptic code I created back in 2016 :smiley:

The reason you cannot edit the original beams document is because you need to make your own copy of it first, that's why using Frame is much better.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,388
    Answer ✓
    Hi @ehsan_moravveji - you should now be using the Frame feature which can be found in the Part Studio toolbar. This will use a sketch rather than the cryptic code I created back in 2016 :smiley:

The reason you cannot edit the original beams document is because you need to make your own copy of it first, that's why using Frame is much better.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,362 PRO
    @NeilCooke

Perhaps it's time to update this page:
    https://www.onshape.com/en/features/custom-features

• Options
    ehsan_moravvejiehsan_moravveji Member Posts: 8
    Thanks a lot @NeilCooke for your swift reaction. As a matter of fact, I was unaware of the Frame feature; still a newbie.
    I will start digging in.

Kind regards
    Ehsan