Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Modeling wood carving / corbel

Kustaa_1Kustaa_1 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
I'd like to model a corbel, something like attached pic, but my own design cause I cannot find one that fits our kitchen plan.

Any tips on how to do this on Onshape would be appreciated.

I've tried splines on planes with loft and that gets me some way towards what I want to do.

Modelling the leaf patter which is on the curved front looks like a pain.

Splines on curved planes would be nice.

Lofts along paths (like sweeps) would seem to be nice too.

Would not like to get a Rhino license just for this, not that I think/know Rhino would be better but at least I've found some tuorials.

Answers

• Options
    robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 319 ✭✭✭
    I did a search in Public Documents and there's a lot to peruse there. You might also try Grabcad. You might find a model you can modify, or take bits and pieces from models to use in your own. It's also interesting and a way to discover and gain new tools in seeing how the author of a document accomplished features. - Scotty
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,392
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,716 PRO
    edited August 2022
    Here is a link to the document containing the workflow that we ended up going with for the corbel model in the post @NeilCooke mentioned above. The design changed quite a bit before the final corbel was machined.

Keep in mind this is an old model with some out of date Onshape techniques. This workflow could be improved greatly, but it is a start.
    Acanthus Corbel - Link

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 381 PRO
    Marvellous - Thank you Michael, just shows what you can do with Onshape.