Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - October 10th, 2022

mlaflecheCADmlaflecheCAD Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 179
edited November 2022 in New in Onshape
Autumn is in full swing, and so is Onshape.  In this update, we reveal some highly anticipated swaths of functionality that are revolutionary new ways to get your work done.  Onshape Simulation Beta, Publications, ARView, and many other highly requested improvements to general CAD functionality.

ONSHAPE SIMULATION BETA

The time is here to introduce cloud-native Onshape Simulation - a fast, easy, and accurate (FEA) Finite Element Analysis solution that provides structural analysis built right into Onshape Assemblies.  This provides meaningful mechanical guidance early and often as you iterate on your designs.

- Fast, Cloud-Compute

- Easy to use, if you can build an Assembly, you can run a simulation.

- Accurate, proprietary, and validated technology.

• Works with key Onshape features such as configurations, variables, branching and merging, and sharing.

• Simulation respects your Assembly mates with groundbreaking, fast visualization of part connections.

• Body-centric loading and interactions.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/afpirhpx4l

We are introducing Onshape Simulation as beta technology to our Enterprise customers, and over time we plan to extend Onshape Simulation to Onshape Professional subscribers.

ONSHAPE PROFESSIONAL

PUBLICATIONS

Onshape Publications are a novel way to share exactly the right CAD design information AND the exact PDM state of data that you wish to share with your extended design and manufacturing teams.  This new type of Document in Onshape collates design information, including Part Studios, Assemblies, Drawing, and other file data without the full version history.  This also reduces the need to export packaged copies of files when sharing with non-CAD users, providing the benefit of up-to-date information using Onshape's dynamic sharing capabilities.  

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/6fzamd5zy2

GENERAL IMPROVEMENTS

DRILL TIP ANGLE

Setting the drill tip angle in the hole tool now has options for standard drill tip sizes as well as Flat and Custom angles.  Also of note, if using a Hole Table, the number of hole instances will be tracked independently if the same size hole is used with a different drill tip angle.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/0akttfpj05

SPLIT FACE WITH 3D CURVE

3D Curves can now be used as tools to split faces in a Part Studio.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/feccdrbx3t

TANGENCY PROPAGATION

There are some conditions where auto-tangency is not the desired outcome.  New in this update, users can control whether they want to allow for auto-extension of tangency or not.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/llo46tw45p

AUTO-RECONNECT

Onshape will now gracefully reconnect if a temporary internet outage is encountered.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/4d18p6wl0t

DRAWINGS IMPROVEMENTS

CONJUGATE ANGLE SUPPORT IN SMART DIMENSION

The Smart Dimension tool allows for Conjugate angle dimensions, which were previously supported only when using the Line to line angular dimension tool.

RENDER STUDIO IMPROVEMENTS

STYLIZED RENDER MODE

Stylized (non-photorealistic) rendering mode is now available in the view drop-down menu for creating a large variety of marketing images.

VIRTUAL GROUND SETTINGS

The user experience has been improved to simplify environment dome and virtual ground settings.

BACKGROUND COLOR

The user experience has been improved to move the background image and color settings to the view drop-down menu.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/o0e1jr2a5q?allow_original=1

iOS and iPadOS

AR VIEW

For iPhone and iPad users, the Onshape App now provides natively built-in Augmented Reality viewing of live designs within Onshape Part Studios and Assemblies.  This functionality is powered by PTC's very own Vuforia product.  Simply enable the AR View mode in the view pull-down menu or via the view-only heads-up toolbar.  No need to re-export to AR formats for every design change. If your design updates, so does the view on-screen.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/fds7sapq4n

PUBLICATIONS

Also, on IOS, Onshape Publications which are a novel way to share exactly the right CAD design information AND the exact PDM state of data that you wish to share with your extended design and manufacturing teams.  This new type of Document in Onshape collates design information, including Part Studios, Assemblies, Drawing, and other file data without the full version history.  On mobile, Publications are view-only.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/sv4ny5vw5o

ALLOW USER TO PICK STEP VERSION

STEP file format selection is now available on mobile during the Export function.

INTERSECTION CURVE

Full support for the creation of Intersection Curves in the Part Studio is now available on mobile.

ANDROID

ALLOW USER TO PICK STEP VERSION

STEP file format selection is now available on mobile during the Export function.

PUBLICATIONS

Also on Android, Onshape Publications, which are a novel way to share exactly the right CAD design information AND the exact PDM state of data that you wish to share with your extended design and manufacturing teams.  This new type of Document in Onshape collates design information, including Part Studios, Assemblies, Drawing, and other file data without the full version history.  On mobile, Publications are view-only.

INTERSECTION CURVE

Full support for the creation of Intersection Curves in the Part Studio is now available on mobile.

LEARNING CENTER UPDATES

The Training team has been working hard to keep the videos in the Learning Center up-to-date with all the great updates to Onshape:

• Advanced Part Design course

• Update to the variables video to include the measure option.

• Part Design Using Part Studios course

• Updates to the Sweep video to include sweeping a profile in the middle of a path.

• Document Management course

• A new video on Where Used for Professional and Enterprise users.

• Understanding Curves course

• Update to the Projected curve video to include projecting a sketch onto a face or surface.

• New videos on Beizer curves and Intersection curves.

• Detailed Drawings course

• Update to Dimension video to include jogs

• Separated Hole callout and Ordinate dimension to their own videos

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments in the Forum post. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents. Over the next few days, these features will also be available in Documents created before this update.

Regards,
Mike LaFleche   @mlaflecheCAD
Tagged:

Comments

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Great Release,  Publications looks like a great solution for sharing, hopefully exactly fulfilling that need for sharing without using dropbox/drive/etc. Looking forward also to trying the simulation feature. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    Love 'publications'. Has been on my wish list from way back.
    Already made one for customer that shows what they need with out over whelming them with a whole document for a non OS user.
  • christopher_quijanochristopher_quijano OS Professional Posts: 50 PRO
    I have been dreaming about trying the Onshape simulation since it was presented it last year... Alas, Since I am only a professional user I guess I still have to wait.
  • Pattabi_KakumanuPattabi_Kakumanu Member Posts: 39 PRO
    Nice improvements!
  • GuidoNADECGuidoNADEC Member Posts: 27 PRO
    Publications!! Great. Thanks!
  • sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 398 PRO
    Wow, really cool updates! 
    It's like Christmas :smiley:

• Jameson_BinanitanJameson_Binanitan Member Posts: 2 PRO
    edited October 2022
    Plenty of updates to test. Thank you for working hard to release these improvements.
    I'm just wondering how the Simulation may affect the performance of generating the documents and if there is some factor to consider regarding the ease of access.
  • Hans_Leirvik_1Hans_Leirvik_1 Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    Wow, simulation, publications and more. Thank you - very good :)  :)
  • Axel_KollmenterAxel_Kollmenter Member Posts: 410 PRO
    edited October 2022
    WOAAH Simulations is a huge improvement! Thank you!
    Its also nice to see if the assembly is fully defined or not.
    Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter
  • Jon_PammentJon_Pamment Member Posts: 2 PRO
    Cant wait for FEA to come to Professional Subscribers ;)
  • GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 366 PRO
    What an update.....thank you Onshape
  • Alex_PittAlex_Pitt Member Posts: 46 PRO
    Mind-blowing! A very substantial update indeed! Can't wait to try out Publications. Thank you Onshape team!
  • Jacob_CorderJacob_Corder Member Posts: 126 PRO
    Ssplit face with 3d curve is now allowed also in the split function.  Thank you onshape. 
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Publications, Tangency Propagation, Auto-Reconnect, AR
    Huge Update!
  • matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 475 PRO
    Tangent-propagation is a great addition to the Tangent-mate.  Thank you to the entire Onshape team for another substantial release!

But I must ask, why can't tangent-propagation be extended to include adjacent tangent faces of multiple parts?  Assembly 1 is a simplified example of the use case.  A skate board ramp or roller coaster is likely to consist of more than a single part.

Also consider the merit of providing an option for "loop-chain" propagation of tangency.  Similar functionality is already included in the Selection-tool (RMB).

It also appears that tangent-propagation is limited to faces of a Part.  What about Surfaces?  The use case is illustrated in Assembly 2.  The ability to apply tangent-propagation would at least provide a viable workflow to stitch faces of adjacent parts together (Offset surface > Boolean union).

• shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 798 PRO
    Publication!  Amazing!  Exactly what has been needed for a long time.
  • Matthew_KiblerMatthew_Kibler Member Posts: 6 PRO
    Amazing release! Simulation!!! Publication!!! and more!  Workflow improvements for the win! 
  • fnxffnxf Member, User Group Leader Posts: 134 PRO
    You are awesome! I am hoping to see FEA (nice pun, btw ;)) soon in Pro subscriptions.

A couple of questions:
    - The auto-number-generation for publications... where do I set the number key or pattern I want to use? Like I can with release management/part no. generation?
    - why limit AR to iPhones who have LiDAR? E.g. If I am browsing a iPhone on the Apple Store app on my iPhone (with no LiDAR), I can do an AR view of that. Why is there a limit to it from Onshape?
  • don_williams909don_williams909 Member Posts: 138 PRO
    OMG, I want to cry, I had to pinch myself, no it is not April 1st and I'm not dreaming, this is huge, Simulation, are you kidding? Publication, you can't be serious! such an incredible leap forward! Congratulations to the team.
    PS: Hoping to have generative design options in the simulation package soon!!

Pretty cool, eh Jacques?  I'm working on convincing Stephen to upgrade to Pro so I can have the FEA stuff as well as the rendering capability!
  • mlaflecheCADmlaflecheCAD Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 179
    edited October 2022
    @fnxf Hi, that is my mistake, relating to ARView and LiDAR; it works on any newer iPhone or iPad.  It does not require LiDAR.  I have corrected the forum post.  Thanks.
    Regards,
    Mike LaFleche   @mlaflecheCAD
  • fnxffnxf Member, User Group Leader Posts: 134 PRO
    @fnxf Hi, that is my mistake, relating to ARView and LiDAR; it works on any newer iPhone or iPad.  It does not require LiDAR.  I have corrected the forum post.  Thanks.

Now I'm just waiting for the app to update.. come on App Store review team, you got this!
  • Rhett_RobinsonRhett_Robinson Member Posts: 88 PRO
    Great update! I seem to be missing something with enabling the ARView. When I open a model in the app (on my iPhone), it does not give me the option to select ARView in the view pull down. The last option it gives me is the Section View. I just re-downloaded the app today, but no change to the option.
  • MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,694 PRO

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Rhett_RobinsonRhett_Robinson Member Posts: 88 PRO
    Matt_Lo said:
    Great update! I seem to be missing something with enabling the ARView. When I open a model in the app (on my iPhone), it does not give me the option to select ARView in the view pull down. The last option it gives me is the Section View. I just re-downloaded the app today, but no change to the option.
    @Rhett_RobinsonThe app update is currently in review. We will be pushing a new version when the review is complete
    Thank you!
  • M_HutchisonM_Hutchison Member Posts: 26 PRO
    Got super excited when I saw the AR feature and downloaded AR on my iPhone, BUT, no joy, no AR menu choice at the bottom.  Is there a model or software version limitation?  Model 8 running iOS 15.7
  • Lucas_KuhnsLucas_Kuhns Member, csevp Posts: 88 PRO
    Very excited about this update! I was expecting publications sometime this year but I am totally shocked by the release of simulation right in Onshape.