Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Improvements to Onshape - January 11th, 2023

2»

Comments

• Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 582 ✭✭✭
    Been some nice updates this round. Thanks OS.
    Was working with in context visibility the morning. :)
    Would be a nice enhancement when mousing over the list if parts would highlight the part in graphics area.
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,512 PRO
    @ian_d_gardiner
    That does look like outstanding value for sure! I would have expected it to cost more.
    Truth be told, it's probably a very sounds investment in terms of driving future sales as these students enter the workforce so even if it was completely free it would probably still make sense financially (although the payback period is probably quite long)...
  • Options
    wout_theelen541wout_theelen541 Member, csevp Posts: 198 PRO
    Awesome. Great job Onshape team. Some super improvements here
    I'm really impressed by the bold choice to offer simulation to students. This is a huge benefit to the kids; it is extraordinarily kind for Onshape to carry the processsing weight incurred by millions of students using Onshape
    It looks like it's only for "Education Enterprise" (as opposed to regular "Education")... I don't know exactly how it works but I'm guessing the "school" has to pay for this and that must be how they recover at least a significant portion of the processing expenses.
    Seems like a good long term investment regardless and sounds like a reasonable compromise even though you are still shutout if your school isn't willing/can't afford to pay for Enterprise!
    I imagine the schools get a significant discount, similar to the other major CAD programs. I imagine if you're school isn't using Enterprise it would be pretty difficult to verify that you are really a student. I wish my school had been using OnShape earlier on. It's not just a great tool for CAD but it's also great just to learn about more cloud based ideas, ticketing, version control, etc. 

I have one additional question which is when a student is no longer affiliated with their school does their account simply get downgraded? I imagine it would be super handy to keep your certificates.
  • Options
    Pattabi_KakumanuPattabi_Kakumanu Member Posts: 39 PRO
    Great improvements and keep up the great work, Onshape team!
  • Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,716 PRO
    edited January 2023

This can be marked as completed: RENDER STUDIO - USE PART MATERIAL FROM PART STUDIO
    Wow, this saves a lot of time.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, and it also works fine with custom material libraries.
    But you need to set the same material name as in the Onshape material library., which doesn't work well if you want to have your materials in Spanish.
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Options
    erkin_tekerkin_tek Member Posts: 5
    12 days ago I made a chandelier and checked if assembly could show reference image ( our living room),  and I was shocked to learn that it is not possible. thanks to this update this wanted small feature has been added. I donno but it seems a little faint?
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,392
    erkin_tek said:
    12 days ago I made a chandelier and checked if assembly could show reference image ( our living room),  and I was shocked to learn that it is not possible. thanks to this update this wanted small feature has been added. I donno but it seems a little faint?
    Sketch images are translucent - it's supposed to be a reference for design rather than a decal or label.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,716 PRO
    edited January 2023

@erkin_tek, it is possible to make them fully visible if you insert multiple images on top of each other. I learned this trick from @Konstantin_Sh.

There is a custom feature that does this Image - Custom Feature. However, custom feature sketches are not visible to assemblies or drawings yet. 

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    Chris_D_Mentes_001Chris_D_Mentes_001 Member, csevp Posts: 55 PRO
    @MichaelPascoe
    love that we can hack our way into getting what we want while we wait :P 
  • Options
    alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 449 EDU
    Awesome. Great job Onshape team. Some super improvements here
    I'm really impressed by the bold choice to offer simulation to students. This is a huge benefit to the kids; it is extraordinarily kind for Onshape to carry the processsing weight incurred by millions of students using Onshape
    It looks like it's only for "Education Enterprise" (as opposed to regular "Education")... I don't know exactly how it works but I'm guessing the "school" has to pay for this and that must be how they recover at least a significant portion of the processing expenses.
    Seems like a good long term investment regardless and sounds like a reasonable compromise even though you are still shutout if your school isn't willing/can't afford to pay for Enterprise!
    I imagine the schools get a significant discount, similar to the other major CAD programs. I imagine if you're school isn't using Enterprise it would be pretty difficult to verify that you are really a student. I wish my school had been using OnShape earlier on. It's not just a great tool for CAD but it's also great just to learn about more cloud based ideas, ticketing, version control, etc. 

I have one additional question which is when a student is no longer affiliated with their school does their account simply get downgraded? I imagine it would be super handy to keep your certificates.
    @wout_theelen541 When a student is no longer affiliated with their school, their account gets downgraded to a free plan. All private documents remain accessible as read-only with the ability to export (similar to how ending a professional Onshape subscription leaves you with all of your work available to view and export forever). Making documents public restores the ability to edit.

You keep all of your work & certs etc. - I can confirm this since my education account has expired a few times before I forgot to renew and found my private documents were read-only—just needed to fill out the Education sign up form with the same email again and everything works as earlier (I am still a student, of course!).
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev
  • Options
    Super_Dork_42Super_Dork_42 Member Posts: 2
    In theory, could this mutual trim feature be used to make a loft from one object to two? I  might loft the first from plane a to plane b, then hide it and make a loft from plane a to plane c, then merge them with mutual trim to make a single shape that flows from one shape (plane a) to two (planes b and c). Or am I misunderstanding how that feature works? I am rather new to this kind of design but that's my understanding of it. And if that would work, could the one-to-multiple lofting kind of thing be folded into the loft feature in the future as an interesting workflow thing like the mutual trim feature seems to be a simplifying of a bunch of steps?
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,365 PRO
    <reloads for zillionth time> 
    <double checks calendar, counting the weeks>
    <reloads for zillionth time + 1>
     :'( 
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,512 PRO
    S1mon said:
    <reloads for zillionth time> 
    <double checks calendar, counting the weeks>
    <reloads for zillionth time + 1>