Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to texture a cylinder

mike_hockingsmike_hockings Member Posts: 11
I have been trying to apply the wood texture to the surface of a cylinder but I don't see how to do it.  Flat surfaces seem to be OK but texture the curved side like a label on a soup can is beyond me.  Where can I find a tutorial about this.  Everything that I have found so far is doing something else.

Please be gentle as I am new to onshape ;)

Thanks!

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 541 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    Answer ✓
    I'd like to know more about your intent. Are you trying to 3d print a wood texture, or just show it in a drawing or what?
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    mike_hockingsmike_hockings Member Posts: 11
    Hi @dirk_van_der_vaart, thanks.  It looks like I need to find some texture and that looks like it will wrap it.  I guess I was hoping for some ability to that provided some basic textures that could just be applied.

Hi @Evan_Reese, I have a part that screws into another assembly and becomes a handle.  Right now it is more or less OK but smooth.  I was looking to make it appear less industrial as well as provide some grip by giving it a wood-like grain.  I did find a plugin that applies a wood grain but the part is only 15mm in diameter and that only puts a single line down the side ;)  More recently I have been reading about knurling ...
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    The woodgrain feature does have a scale setting so you can make it work on small stuff too. It just splits the faces and doesn't make any actual texture, but you could use move face on every other ring to get something. Here's an example. 
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl