Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Revolute and slider mates overdefining assembly

I am making a V8 engine and am having trouble mating my pistons and crankshaft to the engine block.
I am trying to do a slider mate for the piston heads and cylinders and a revolute for the crankshaft to the center of the engine block, but it is not working. I may have incorrect dimensions or math, but I do not know how to debug that. There are also other revolutes and fastened mates in the piston and crankshaft subassemblies. 
I have been able to change some things and make it so that I can have either the 2 slider mates or the single revolute, but not both. I am not sure what my next step should be.

Here is the link to the document. The assembly in question is "Test 2 Engine Block+Piston+Crankshaft". The test 1 assembly with a similar name has even more problems, but I have pretty much abandoned it. 
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/35f44a6c3a86e543c299b277/w/eb101a7a9006b34c5e895e8b/e/0620f903d2c709bbb64f9fc9

Thank you very much.

Best Answer

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,395
    Answer ✓
    Change the revolute to cylindrical
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,395
    Answer ✓
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    himneesh_medisettihimneesh_medisetti Member Posts: 4 EDU
    NeilCooke said:
    it worked!!!! Thank you so much, this is amazing.
  • Options
    lil_lotionlil_lotion Member Posts: 4
    Can i see an updated model??