Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Can a drawing view reference a "named" view from a part studio?

Hey Folks,  

Is it possible to create a drawing view that references a named view in a part studio?  A common issue is a part that's designed off-angle from the orthogonal views in a part studio.  I can easily create a true view normal to the part in the part studio but that named view does not appear to be accessible when I go to create a drawing which is a real pain. Am I missing something? 

Answers

• Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,722 PRO
    edited February 2023

Hi @dave_franchino, see these steps below:
    • Make sure the drawing has been updated with the yellow icon at the top left. 
    • Hard refresh your browser tab with the drawing sheet. (Ctrl + Shift + R)
    • Right click the drawing view > View orientation.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    dave_franchinodave_franchino Member Posts: 38
    @MichaelPascoe - it doesn't seem to be working unless i don't understand the relationship between part studios, parts and drawings (which is very possible!).

Here are the named views available in the Part Studio I designed the part in:

But when I go to the drawing view none of these are available even though the drawing shows as up to date.

• Options
    Weird - tried your steps - not working for me. I can't do ctl shift r - that's a hot key for another program but I logged off and logged back on.  is that the issue?  

@MichaelPascoe - it doesn't seem to be working unless i don't understand the relationship between part studios, parts and drawings (which is very possible!).

Here are the named views available in the Part Studio I designed the part in:

But when I go to the drawing view none of these are available even though the drawing shows as up to date.

• Options
    OK.  Very odd. I duplicated your test and it worked. But it's not working on my current file. 

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,409
    You need to update the drawing so that it can read the latest data from the Part Studio.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI