Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How can I remove these unnecesary facets from this imported STL desighn

Please excuse my inexperience. I'm not sure what terminology I would use to search for this.  I have a simple task I wish to achieve, the following imported .stl model has x2 unnecessary facets in the design highlighted inside the highlighted area.  Is there a simple means by which I can correct this?

Been playing with on-shape for a while now and amazed at the things I have been able to create but I'm not sure how I would edit something imported like this. 

Answers

• Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    This is considered a mesh. You make a sketch and then split the mesh to the sketch. Then delete face the part you don't want. I have had limited success with this, if you find something better let me know.
  • Options
    _anton_anton Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 272
    The appropriate tool for this is a polygon modeler - Blender, for example. That said, do the extra triangles matter? If you're rendering or 3D-printing, you won't see them anyway, assuming they're coplanar.
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,359 PRO
    I'm assuming this is rotationally symmetric. I would cut it into 1/14th of the shape, then use some combination of delete face/heal, or replace face to clean up the sector, then mirror/pattern that back to the full shape.

If you share a public file, I'm sure people can help you.