Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How can I round the corners using the Sweep tool?

ProApeProApe Member Posts: 52
Hello,
How can I prevent Sweep from stopping at each corner and starting again behind the corner, but instead flowing around the corners, making roundings instead of corners?
Kind regards
ProApe

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,381
    Add fillets to your sketch path
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    In which environment? After having selected the sweep tool?
    Another question: why do I never see my comments and questions after having posted them?
  • Options
    Sweep will follow what you tell it to follow, so edit Sketch1 and use the sketch fillet tool to round the corners.

Some posts go through moderation, so they appear once I have approved them.
  • Options
    "Some posts go through moderation, so they appear once I have approved them. "
    They appear only when I get an answer to my question! It's a bit confusing.
    When I send this message now it will disappear from my screen and I have no control about it and don't have a proof that it has been posted successfully.
  • Options
    I just approved it.
  • Options
    Ok, it appears, but you answered to it and I think I've found out, as I wrote earlier, that my message only appears when someone has replied. I will continue to monitor this.

The sweeping worked after I rounded the corners in the sketch, but at angles<90° the lines get a good bit shorter.

• Options
    Did you already approve my last message? It doesn't appear.
  • Options
    Why does sweeping not work with the 2nd letter (stylised A)? There would be enough space for the rounding at the top after I reduced the diameter to 0.25mm.

• Options
    Because the points between the line and arc in Sketch 1 don't line up. You need to be more vigilant with the details. Also, why surface and not solid?
  • Options
    Even if I correct the junction line-arc it doesn't work; only one leg (the left one) is executed, when I want to add the arc, it doesn't work any more and the sweepend leg appears again as a line.

What more is, the junction problem was between the arc and the right leg, but I have begun sweepening the left leg, and even then the arc is not sweepened and the left leg reduced again to a line.

• Options
    The left leg is still overlapping the arc... details!
  • Options
    dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

• Options
    Indeed the left leg was overlapping, too. I didn't see that.
    Thank you.

• Options
    I think I have already answered!? I don't see it appear.

I have corrected the mistakes. Sweepening of the third letter M works until the last leg:

and I don't see why adding that  second leg creates an interesting construction:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/7e984dcfffc4b099f0a61b1c/w/9f3ca4f11de67f677d2ccd20/e/bf9455bce6a0a392727bfbe7?renderMode=0&uiState=6446d7f139710662e8c38f87

• Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,504 PRO
    The radius of the sweep path has to be larger than the radius of your profile for a sweep to work.
  • Options
    But why does the sweep succeed only until the second leg, as the whole construction is symmetrical?

• Options
    edited April 2023
    @ProApe
    Not sure what you mean, your links (both taking me to the exact same place) just show a bunch of failed lofts with "missing" faces/paths so I can't tell what you you were trying to do... Can you put a screen grab of the issue here?
  • Options
    Now it has worked, but I donb't understand what makes the difference to my previous try where it worked until the last leg, and when I added it (I tried several times) the result was a strange construction.
    How can I make disappear or hide the junctions between the different elements?

Another question: I had some difficulties to place an offset plane to the front plane at the beginning of the line (drawn on the top plane) where I have drawn a circle that I have sweeped. I have measured the distance between the origin and the beginning of the line and offset the plane by that distance. Is there another, more accurate method?

• Options
    Take a look at the different options in the "plane" feature:  Plane-options
    You actually don't need a plane as you can place a sketch directly using a mate connector.

I would highly recommend going through some of the self paced learning course in the learning center as it seems you are missing a lot of the basics on how to use this tool...
    https://learn.onshape.com/catalog?labels=["Self-Paced Courses"]&amp;values=["Onshape Fundamentals"] 
  • Options
    You are absolutely right! Thanks for the links.
  • Options
    Now it has worked, but I donb't understand what makes the difference to my previous try where it worked until the last leg, and when I added it (I tried several times) the result was a strange construction.