Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Limitations to Variable Studio Importing

sasha_sklarsasha_sklar Member Posts: 4
This is one of those "is this a bug" questions.

When insert a variable studio that's not in a folder that's an ancestor of the part studio I'm including it from, the variable don't work. The variable table shows up in the list just fine, but when I try to use  a variable from the table it doesn't show up in the auto complete list and it doesn't work if I type it in manually either. 

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,436
    Could you capture a quick video to show the steps you took to get there? Not sure I understand “ancestor of the part studio”. Thanks. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    sasha_sklarsasha_sklar Member Posts: 4
    I created a new stripped down project to demonstrate the issue and I couldn't reproduce it there so I'm going to dig into what's happening more before I post the video of the project that's having the issue.

By ancestor I meant the parent folder, it's parents and so on up to the root of the project.

root
    |__folder
    |____subfolder
             - variable studio a
    |__anotherfolder
         - part studio b (variables from imported variable_studio_a aren't working here)

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,436
    Ok I tried your example and also couldn’t reproduce so let us know if you see it again. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    _anton_anton Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 292
    Folders shouldn't affect Variable Studio imports. If you have (or recreate) a shareable example, we can debug.

You can try to toggle the Variable Studio's "automatically inserted" button and see if that helps.