Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Rotating a polygon in sketch

michael_drollmichael_droll Member Posts: 4
I am trying to rotate a inscribed polygon in a sketch about the center point, but when i rotate with the transform tool only the construction circle moves and not the lines?

Answers

• Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    Can you make your document public and share a link? Will help to see your issue first hand.
  • Options
    mfalkensteinermfalkensteiner Member, Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 66
    Be sure to select the lines of the sketch and not the construction circle when using the Transform feature.
    Principal Technical Services Engineer, EMEAI
  • Options
    rick_randallrick_randall Member Posts: 112 ✭✭
    edited April 12
    When you created the polygon, did you infer any horz. or vert. constraints to the polygons handle ? If you did, you need to delete those constraints before you can revolve the objects (lines).  The circle can be defined (black), but the lines must be under-defined (blue). Is this what you're after? It worked for me.
      P.S. - This method works for rotating text as well (look for horz. or vert. constraints and delete before rotating).
    Good luck
  • Options
    michael_drollmichael_droll Member Posts: 4
    Can you make your document public and share a link? Will help to see your issue first hand.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/9c78168b1ea5ee28d45be859/w/efea0ed67c8e96785fb87855/e/2f59b94817efe34a74bcd3b3mfalkensteiner said:
    Be sure to select the lines of the sketch and not the construction circle when using the Transform feature.
    I tried that but then the point of rotation is not the centerpoint 

• Options
    wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 482 PRO
    @michael_droll
     Why use the transform at all? 
    You can delete the constraint preventing rotation (likely the point at the tip of the arrow for 10x has a midpoint and a horizontal constraint) and rotate around the center point. Maybe I missed something. 
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,416
    michael_droll said:
    I tried that but then the point of rotation is not the centerpoint 
     Try dragging the transform tool to the centre of the circle........
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    rick_randallrick_randall Member Posts: 112 ✭✭
    What Neil said - grab the tiny circle at the center of the triad , then drag and drop to where ever you want the rotation to be centered.