Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to remove holes from imported step file?

alex_vestasalex_vestas Member Posts: 33
I imported .step file, but can no figure out how to edit it: in particular, how to remove 4 holes ⌀4.5mm ?

Best Answer

• Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 670 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Imported models on any CAD system never have dimensions, a feature tree, etc. 

Only new features you add after the import will have all that. 

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,406
    Delete face feature
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    GWS50 said:
    Thank you. What feature is preferably to use for actions like that, "Delete face" or "Move face"?
    How to add dimensions to sketch in the part studio: I don't see the <⸺>  in the top menu on part studio sketch tab.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/bfb157a122c2a9cc76b266d2/w/55ffdc61df640a5734cf44aa/e/104a915b7a84ed2c54542281

• Options
    Delete face is not reliant on an offset value so should be better. Not sure what you're asking about Sketch?
  • Options
    I don't know how to add/edit dimensions to this sketch, the "Dimensions" tool is missing on Sketch toolbar. The dimension lines are missing on the sketch.
  • Options
    There are no sketches in that doc - you have to create one first before the tools appear.
  • Options
    When I tried to create new Sketch, the dialog ask "Select a sketch plane", without further clarifications. What plan I should find and select?

• Options
    edited April 18
    When I tried to create new Sketch, the dialog ask "Select a sketch plane", without further clarifications. What plan I should find and select?

Well that entirely depends on what you are sketching - if you want to sketch on the face where the holes were, select the face or the front/top/right planes. You can find tutorial videos here: https://learn.onshape.com 
  • Options
    I want modify proportions and edit dimensions. I created Sketch1 for Front plane, but still can't see "Dimensions" tool. Its only appears temporarily when right click on Sketch1 > Edit. But all dimension lines are missing or hidden anyway. The detail is very simple and plain, not sure what other complex operations are required by the onshape for such simple actions.

• Options
    Are you expecting the imported part to have dimensions? And then be able to edit them? It's dumb geometry that can only be edited using move face etc.
  • Options
    Yes, I expected it to have editable dimensions. In this case, importing this model does not make any sense, even for use as a starting sample, it’s much easier to draw it again yourself.

• Options
    edited April 19
    It’s much easier to draw it again yourself.
    Absolutely.
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 670 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Imported models on any CAD system never have dimensions, a feature tree, etc. 

Only new features you add after the import will have all that.