Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Is there anyway to "group" text

ron_morelandron_moreland Member Posts: 79 ✭✭
I created some text to extrude onto a part. Each letter is a separate part. Is there anyway to "group" the letters into words?

Answers

• Options
    Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    @ ron_moreland  , Usually we will create a part(say base plate) then will remove or add material by extrude option to create letters.so we can get letters in the base plate it self and will be in one part.

If you are extruding text as new parts then their will not be any contact between each letters in text so they will be in different part.You can group them in assembly by using group option
  • Options
    viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    @ron_moreland , Kindly refer below video to group text in term of material addition and removal in extrude operation.

• Options
    I created some text to extrude onto a part. Each letter is a separate part. Is there anyway to "group" the letters into words? 

• Options
    I see what you're doing in these examples. I want all the text to have a different material, I'm 3d printing with multiple colors. If parts are grouped in an assembly, can they be used for boolean operations in a part studio?
  • Options
    shanshanshanshan Member Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
    ron_moreland,yes, if parts are grouped in an assembly,they can be moved together,these parts are like a sub-assembly,but there is no any influence to part studio, you can do any operation in part studio,you can try it !
  • Options
    Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    @ ron_moreland, for 3-D printing you can extrude letters as different parts(as you did before).Then you can export that part studio in to a STL file.so that all letters are grouped as in one file.then you can use that file for 3-D printing.
  • Options
    I understand these solutions. The original question was whether parts can be grouped inside a part studio and the answer is no.
  • Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    You can constrain the letters to points on a sketch this will effectively group the letters into words
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @ron_moreland
    Usually such grouping would be made so that each group exist in their own part studio and then you derive them in main part studio. I'm not 100% sure if this will work in your case.

If you wan't to try, tip for positioning is to create mate connectors in each studio and use transform by mate connector in main studio.
    //rami