Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - June 28th, 2024

2»

Comments

• tabetha_bulnestabetha_bulnes Member, Developers, HON-TS Posts: 24 PRO
    I was excited for getAllAttributes but it does not work the way I was hoping  :(   Can you share a document where the command is being used? I am hoping it is just user error but I can only check one body/face/edge/vertex at a time. It does pull multiple attributes for a single entity but I was hoping not to have to query every body/face/edge/vertex to find all the attributes in a part studio. 
  • _anton_anton Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 367
    You can imagine different combinations of one/many-attributes-from-one/many-entities function. We provide one-from-one and (now) many-from-one.

What's your use case? It doesn't seem unreasonable to iterate over all entities.
  • tabetha_bulnestabetha_bulnes Member, Developers, HON-TS Posts: 24 PRO
    _anton said:
    You can imagine different combinations of one/many-attributes-from-one/many-entities function. We provide one-from-one and (now) many-from-one.

What's your use case? It doesn't seem unreasonable to iterate over all entities.

Our models are filled with different attributes used for a variety of reasons. Those attributes can be placed on different entities based on need and who has been developing the FS. Then these models can be derived into other part studios so it is difficult to know what attributes are applied to a particular component and if there are any attributes that I did not even know that were there. I was looking for a way to quickly search the part studio as a whole to scrape all the attributes.
    One of my devs has now made a  unction using the getAllAttributes  that runs a for loop through all of our selections but I need to test on a larger model as I fear that it will be regen heavy. 
    I looked through glassworks and I do not think saw any APIs that will scrape all the attributes in a model. Is there one that I may have missed? 
  • ladislav_pochopladislav_pochop Member, HON-TS Posts: 7 PRO
    Thank you 👍︎ :) 
  • Kyle_BurtKyle_Burt Member Posts: 11 PRO
    The "View in repair" option seems to not be available for assemblies. Is this the intent, or is there a different workflow to gain access to if from what is shown in the provided video?
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,576
    Kyle_Burt said:
    The "View in repair" option seems to not be available for assemblies. Is this the intent, or is there a different workflow to gain access to if from what is shown in the provided video?
    Part Studios only.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Kyle_BurtKyle_Burt Member Posts: 11 PRO
    NeilCooke said:
    Kyle_Burt said:
    Part Studios only.
    Is there any anticipated date for this, or a comparable feature, to be rolled out for assemblies?
    I was hoping this would be able to be used for helping to guide manual repair of broken mates after a component update/replace/etc.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,576
    Kyle_Burt said:
    Is there any anticipated date for this, or a comparable feature, to be rolled out for assemblies?
    No on all counts, I'm afraid. It would make a good IR though.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • _anton_anton Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 367
    edited July 3
    I don't know of an alternative; it's definitely worth trying the iteration thing. If that's too slow, you can log an IR. There's the question of what specifically is needed - is an attribute name present at all, or do you need an entity-to-attribute-value map per attribute, or what. These should all be nearly trivial to implement and test on your end.
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,745 PRO
    NeilCooke said:
    S1mon said:
    Do I need to create a new improvement request to do this right, or is this a support request to fix a glaring bug?
    It's not a bug. As you know, we release functionality when it is useful and delivers benefits in some situations rather than wait for it to be 100% complete. Then we add incremental improvements over time. The request is noted.
    Thanks. I've created a new improvement request to cover the gap in functionality.

• brian_siebert221brian_siebert221 Member Posts: 3
    Any word yet on Cloud Milling integration?  Can't wait to get rid of my Autodesk products.
  • Andre_ComellaAndre_Comella Member Posts: 57 PRO
    Suppressing folders and repairing references are huge improvements in my book. 

My two cents is that Onshape doesn't need major features as much as it needs to improve the ease and speed of basic features. Too much mouse movement, too much clicking. This is a great step in that direction. 
  • bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can hear the crowd chanting, Sheet Metal Loft! Sheet Metal Loft! Sheet Metal Loft! :)
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,745 PRO
    Even though yesterday was a quarterly round up, I'm very hopeful for more new stuff today.