Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - July 19th, 2024

Comments

• Chris_D_Mentes_001Chris_D_Mentes_001 Member, csevp Posts: 74 PRO
    I literally screamed in excitment.... I work from home alone... the neighbors probably think I'm crazy. Thank you onshape,
    thankyou, thankyou, thankyou!
  • Ethan_DowneyEthan_Downey Member Posts: 2 PRO
    Thanks for the dark mode!
    Will dark mode support multiple browser tab in future?
  • JosefBurjetaJosefBurjeta Member Posts: 20 PRO
    Darkmode is cool, I'm looking forward to implementation on Drawings as well. Would be nice to have option to change appearances of edges, dimensions, planes etc. when developing Darkmode further. 

I really like moving unconstrained entities first when dragging overlapping endpoints. That's awesome improvement. It will remove hassle of moving the entity itself and then dragging the endpoint once they don't overlap.

I was excited when reading "Update keyboard shortcuts to include option for adjusting rollback bar position" in Changelog. Unfortunately this keyboard shortcut is logged so you cannot add your custom one. Would be nice to have CTRL+UP/DOWN for example, or maybe add some custom ones per user preferences.

It looks like Repair Broken References course is not working. :disappointed:

• Alex_PittAlex_Pitt Member Posts: 63 PRO
    Good improvements!  I'm glad we can tidy up the appearances in Render Studio.
  • don_williams909don_williams909 Member Posts: 142 PRO
    Still no useful additions to sheet metal.  Still no arial font on drawings.
  • Lindsay_EarlyLindsay_Early Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 19
    edited July 22
    @JosefBurjeta Thank you for calling the Repair References video issue to our attention. It's fixed now.
  • chadstoltzfuschadstoltzfus Member, Developers, csevp Posts: 136 PRO
    edited July 22
    Great update, team. Excited about the safe navigation operators in FS and of course dark mode is a long requested feature that I'm very happy to see implemented. That being said I'm glad it's considered in "beta," as I think there are some quirks about it with Feature Studios. 

For one, if using function documentation comments or regular comments, I personally think that they are very difficult to read. It's also odd that both comment types have the same font color, it was nice to see them stand out a little more in the light mode scheme. 

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the new colors but perhaps that'll just take some getting used to. I've always been a fan of the "Onshape blue" used for text and seeing red in an IDE has always felt a little off for me but I'm sure some people will like it. 
    Applications Developer at Premier Custom Built
    chadstoltzfus@premiercb.com
  • nkonathalankonathala Member Posts: 2
    Changing theme to dark mode in My Account -> Preferences is a permanent setting and would remember your preference across tabs. Hope that helps.
  • Rhett_RobinsonRhett_Robinson Member Posts: 116 PRO
    This is probably my favorite update this year for all the helpful improvements, and it happened to come on my birthday.   :smiley:
  • michael_zeaglermichael_zeagler Member Posts: 82 ✭✭✭
    Man, how many feature requests got knocked out on this one? It's at least two with the part search and dark mode.
  • Ethan_DowneyEthan_Downey Member Posts: 2 PRO
    Changing theme to dark mode in My Account -> Preferences is a permanent setting and would remember your preference across tabs. Hope that helps.

Perfect! Thank you for that.
  • danny_paynedanny_payne Member, User Group Leader Posts: 39 PRO
    Greta updates. Breaking the constraint and defaulting to the unstrained point is greta. Dark mode is nice too.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,930 PRO
    Sweet! Dark Mode! (the featurestudio looks nice too, would like a dimmer sheet of paper in drawings, not black as everything else is)
    Clear Missing References!
    Mouse over for formula (would be nice to have always shown)
    Fixed that sketch constraint annoyance!

The icons look much better than what I could ever get from darkreader or that other paid for one.
    Will now have to go through some custom feature icons and make them more compatible with darkmode now

vs. 

Any suggestions from the Onshape Crew on color schemes for custom Icons?

Bingo Updated

• chris_barlowchris_barlow Member Posts: 2
    Don't know if it's something to do with my browser.... Dark mode won't stay on after I log out. I have changed in preferences and saved, but when I log back in, its white screen again. Anybody else get this?
  • valentyn_morhunvalentyn_morhun Member Posts: 2
    Is sheet metal planned for conical surfaces?
  • _anton_anton Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 367
    Don't know if it's something to do with my browser.... Dark mode won't stay on after I log out. I have changed in preferences and saved, but when I log back in, its white screen again. Anybody else get this?
    Does your account preferences page say you're still in dark mode?
  • rafael_telgmannrafael_telgmann Member Posts: 93 ✭✭✭
    Same here:
    @_anton
    if i log in my account setting ist telling dark mode, but the View is off.

• AuroraRonAuroraRon Member Posts: 132 PRO
    Has Onshape lost interest in fixing the issue with importing from other CAD programs?  It's only been seven years with open tickets on this. Maybe the next revision?  
  • LoonieLoonie Member Posts: 6
    Thanks a lot for the update, lots of awesome features.

Would you consider re-enabling the option to make a composite part when combining a Step file into a single part studio?  I was using that option very often when import step files for PCBAs, because as far as mechanical design is concerned the whole PCBA is one rigid object. Thank you.
  • aled_dafis860aled_dafis860 Member Posts: 2
    Is there any chance we can get Render Studio in the Education version?  It would make a big difference to my students' outcomes.
  • bill_schnoebelenbill_schnoebelen OS Professional, Developers, User Group Leader, csevp Posts: 119 PRO
    Is there any chance we can get Render Studio in the Education version?  It would make a big difference to my students' outcomes.
    Just curious. Have you tried Blender with gltf? Blender is free and you can add material, motion, background.... 
  • Ste_WilsonSte_Wilson Member Posts: 295 EDU
    edited July 27
    @aled_dafis860 you can get blender from https://portableapps.com/ which means you don't need admin privilege to install it.
    https://modelviewer.dev/ let's you do some more basic rendering and you can host it on the web!

But yes, Render studio for edu pleeeeeeeeaaaaaseeeeeee!

• michael_zeaglermichael_zeagler Member Posts: 82 ✭✭✭
    Loonie said:

Would you consider re-enabling the option to make a composite part when combining a Step file into a single part studio?  I was using that option very often when import step files for PCBAs, because as far as mechanical design is concerned the whole PCBA is one rigid object. Thank you.
    You should put in a support ticket for this just in case it's a bug. Also you could put in a feature request in that part of the forum.
  • aeromorrisonaeromorrison Member Posts: 20 PRO
    From the changelog: "Support polar moment of inertia in Mass properties tool"

This is awesome! Keep it coming on mass properties tool enhancements. Maybe an option to export part and assembly mass properties to a CSV file?

• LoonieLoonie Member Posts: 6
    Loonie said:

You should put in a support ticket for this just in case it's a bug. Also you could put in a feature request in that part of the forum.
    Here's the bullet from the changelog, looks like the feature was intentionally removed. But I'll make a feature request post, thank you.
    • "Disable import option create composite part when combining to a single Part Studio"
  • rick_randallrick_randall Member Posts: 208 ✭✭✭
    Hello, Darkness!  Already looking forward to "Adjustable Gray between Black and White" Mode
    Thank you!

+1 for greyscale slider
  • mic_lazzarimic_lazzari Member Posts: 2
    Dark Mode looks cool in the graphics window, but I feel its easier to discern features and elements, at a glance, in the menu bar and feature tree when they stand out against a light background. I feel the dark mode there Is there a way to just change the background colour of your 3D window and leave the menus? I feel that long lists on a dark background feel heavy and obfuscated. So a variable grey background as somebody suggested to not have such a heavy contrast with white feature trees and menus might work better>?
  • romeograhamromeograham Member, csevp Posts: 670 PRO
    Looking forward to another update of our Bingo Cards @john_mcclary.
    F5
    F5
    F5
  • sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    @romeograham @john_mcclary
    Looking forward to FeatureScript Store and Sheet Metal Loft  :D