Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Assemblies

alejandro_sniralejandro_snir Member Posts: 2
edited September 2016 in Community Support
Hi 
I'm new here and couldn't find the answer in the forum or neither the tutorial.
I created several parts and created a blank sheet for making an assembly.
in the assembly spreadsheet the single parts are not located or can't be found, so i can't actually create an assembly because i don't have parts

Answers

• Options
    peter_hallpeter_hall Member Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    I assume when you say you made a blank sheet for the assembly, you mean an assembly tab at the bottom of the page. If you then open this tab, you then click on import button along the top, this will bring up all the items in your document that you can choose to insert into your assembly area.
  • Options
    alejandro_sniralejandro_snir Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the prompt response.
    The issue is when i choose to import it takes me to the local drives and not to the cloud where all the parts are located so i can't find the parts
  • Options
    thomas_kozakthomas_kozak Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Sounds like you designed parts in one or more onshape documents, then created a new document to do your assembly in.  I think there isn't currently a way to pull in content directly from another onshape document, although you could export and then re-import it into the new document.

I seem to remember reading that this is on their list for features to add in though since it's a common request.

If you're working with parts designed in Part Studios of the same document, you don't import them but rather insert them (left side of the top menu bar).
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    If your parts are in part studios in separate documents, you can RMB on the part studio tab and 'copy to clipboard'  and then paste the tab into the target document (click on the '+' in the bottom left hand corner of the target document).
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @philip_thomas
    Maybe you should add general video of main workflow to Onshape front page. Beginning from creating new document since this same question pops up every now and then in forums. I was also confused when I first found Onshape since I thought document = file so I created 1 part per doc and then tried to create assembly to yet another doc and didn't find my parts.

If it was introduced in a way that document = folder, it would make it easier to understand when coming from traditional cad. 
    //rami
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    edited September 2016
    Philip Thomas - Onshape