Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Fixing all parts in part studio

DMoroniDMoroni Member Posts: 2
I'm making a design using a few different circuit board components that I am importing in my project and then assembling together in an assembly. One of the boards I have as an IGES assembly, and when it is imported it creates a new part studio with ~100 parts. My problem is when I add that part studio to the assembly all of the 100 parts are not fixed to each other and able to move freely, so the circuit board IGES as a part studio is basically useless.

I've tried to combine all of the ~100 parts in the circuit board to make a single part, but it ends up freezing the browser. How can I make that part studio act as a single part when I bring it into an assembly?

Comments

• pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    Merge all the bodies in the authoring tool before you export to IGES.
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @DMoroni You can import the entire part studio, then use SHIFT select to apply a Group mate.  Then it will move as one unit.  You could also Boolean them in the part studio if you like.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • DMoroniDMoroni Member Posts: 2
    Thanks all! Unfortunately I don't have another authoring tool readily available so I can't alter any of the files I get. When I try to boolean the parts the system just crashes.

Group mate sounds like it will do exactly what I need it to, thanks!
  • john_rousseaujohn_rousseau Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 353
    @DMoroni, please use the "Feedback" button under the "?" menu in Onshape and report the crash issue you are having. We will get right on it.

-John
    John Rousseau / VP, Technical Operations / Onshape Inc.